Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    KUBOTA BX-22

Default Re: Stump Digging

I'm in the process of making a ripper tooth that will go on the backhoe after removing the bucket. it is 18" by 5" and 1" thick has an 82 degree knife edge that I hardend to a 65 rockwell to hold the edge sharp. I will be welding the mounting plates onto it at work tomorrow. I'm hoping to stick it in the ground and curl the the blade just like the bucket and cut the roots. this should put all the force on the knife edge with success I hope. I do not have a digital camera yet but drew up a picture to show what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    '02 JD 4110 HST

Good idea on the Hoe attachment. I am starting to realize that the most useful attachment for a tractor is a welder...LOL

Tractor
    NH TC35D/SUPER H&M/F-20/JD B&D/FORDSON/JD250 SSL

AND SOMEONE THAT CAN OPERATE THE HOT GLUE GUN.

LOL

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

On our large backhoes for road construction, etc.. We have some units equipped with a 'thumb' to grab rocks /limbs easier.

Have also seen a scisor attatchment... consisted of 2 fixed blades, and i moving blade that scisored in between the clearance of the other two blades. Worked well on 4" - 6" stuff... any blade should be good on roots, etc
    good luck!

Soundguy

Tractor
    3710HST

Or if you don't have a beater chainsaw, take a couple whacks at the taproot with a sharp mattock after you expose it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12