Stump Digging

/ Stump Digging #1  

IRTEXN

Bronze Member
Tractor
'02 JD 4110 HST
I have a JD4110 with a 410 FEL and have been practicing digging stumps. Most of them have been cut for 4 - 5 years and the ground is mostly sandy loam. Some have come out without a lot of trouble, but I'm having trouble with others. Can anyone with simuliar size tractors could offer a few techneques you have had success with? Thanks

/ Stump Digging #2  
Welcome aboard IRTEXN! I think you are doing it correctly......Practice, practice, practice & more practice. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Hopefully someone else will have some better advise that what I have. When I am using something after finding out it's limits I just take my time and gradually cut the soils and roots out taking little baby bits if necessary. :( I have read sometimes it is required to actually manually cut the roots with a chainsaw or other means before the roots will let go. But like I stated you are doing it right.

Darin

/ Stump Digging #3  
Would you care to elaborate on what the trouble is? Spinning, not enough lifting power, curling the bucket isn't effective, ??
There is a limit to the tractor, no matter what size it is. Maybe another five years is the answer. Are the small stumps coming out, but not the big ones? Are some a different kind of tree? Pine, walnut, oak??

Not sure what you are doing or how you are doing it? I don't understandl how DarinRay decided you were doing it right, when you didn't say how you were doing it? He must know something we don't.

Help us out please.

/ Stump Digging #4  
"I have a JD4110 with a 410 FEL and have been practicing digging stumps"

Ummm geeehhh maybe practicing beenthere. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gifI forgot that some people can just do it right off the bat even if told how to operate it. NOT! My whole point is practice and patients working with what you have for a tractor or any other piece of equipment and the techniques will come eventually.

Darin

/ Stump Digging #5  
Stumps are much stronger than we give them credit for. I have had trouble removing brush stump/roots not even real trees! My TC18 has slightly less loader capacity than your JD.

Much like painting, its all in the preperation. Loosten the soil around the stump & cut as many roots as you can.

As far as technique goes: The FEL has more force curling than lifting, use this to your advantage.

/ Stump Digging #6  
I agree with Darin and Hazmat. Practice and see what works. Give up on what doesn't work. Maybe try it again later. And the tractor can usually curl easier than lift. I've tried putting the bucket down as low as possible on the stumps and curling it using the ground as the pivot point of the lever. It helps to pop the stump up. I also have another larger tractor(50 pto HP IH2500B) that is huge and it can have trouble with just 2 inch roots on tough trees like locust. I've pulled up 40-50 foot long roots from several feet under ground and they still wouldn't break. They are like steel cables.

My guess is when man leaves this earth all that will be left is cockroaches and locust trees(if the kudzu doesn't kill them) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Good luck. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Stump Digging #7  
Any possibility of burning them out to save the waer and tear on your tractor?

Maybee soak them in kerosene over night, and then pile some brush abd rocks around them and let them burn while you are working on the rest of the clearing that day.

Soundguy

/ Stump Digging #8  
I have had success with loosening the roots all around the stump and then digging a "ramp" down below the stump on one side. This way you can use gravity and leverage to get under the stump. Also, try working on the edge of the root ball to twist the stump loose. The end result of this technique is a large hole in the ground, but with a loader, it can easily be filled back in.

/ Stump Digging #9  
For that matter.. if you don't mind the digging, you can dig and expose the roots below the ground a bit, and then use a chain saw to cut it out.. or at least sub-surface the stump.

I have an old beater chainsaw that i use for root removal this way... dig subsurface.. cut it out, backfill, and forget. Stump rots so slowly that naturalweathering keeps the area level, etc.

Soundguy

/ Stump Digging
Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like I was sorta on the right track by digging around and then trying to pop it out. I didn't know that the FEL could curl more than lift, so that may help. Too bad the FEL won't tilt down to the side....or maybe that's an excuse to get a backhoe.....yeah, yeah...that's it....Oh well, back to the practice and patience