Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
Not sure this is the best area for this question, but it deals with ownership, so here goes: What does everyone do regarding tractor insurance?

There are times when I keep my tractor in a neigbhor's barn at the hunting land. Recently, there was a lightening fire that scorched some of the field near the barn, and would possibly have gotten to the barn except for the volunteer fire fighters. Also, while behind locked gates, the barn is in a remote area.

To get the tractor from home to hunting I used a 16 foot tandem trailer.

What kind of insurance do I need, and where do I go for it?

/ Tractor Insurance #2  
Search on this term at google:

tractor insurance site:tractorbynet.com

You will find a lot of discussion...

/ Tractor Insurance #4  
I have mine as an extra rider on my homeowner's policy. It only covers the tractor while it is on my property. Interestingly when I asked about insuring it for the road they would not do that and cover me under the homeowners insurance at the same time, still haven't figured that one out. :confused2:

/ Tractor Insurance #5  
I sent you a PM with some information.

/ Tractor Insurance #6  
I think you will find most people are already covered under their home owners insurance policy for private use, and only require additional insurance if doing work off the property.

/ Tractor Insurance #7  
I have mine as an extra rider on my homeowner's policy. It only covers the tractor while it is on my property. Interestingly when I asked about insuring it for the road they would not do that and cover me under the homeowners insurance at the same time, still haven't figured that one out. :confused2:

I have mine insured under a commercial automotive policy, the homeowners would only cover up to 25 HP as I recall. Kubota requires "fire and theft" or specified perils if you finance, but not collision. Mine covers me for road use, as well as snow removal on other's property. Around $250 a year, I think.

Sean

/ Tractor Insurance #8  
I bet most people who say their tractor is insured by their homeowner's policy are not covered as well as they think. When push comes to shove, I'm willing to bet the insurance company will not cover the tractor like the owner thinks.

I could be wrong -- and don't want to be confrontational -- I just did a lot of research before I went with Kubota insurance. For the coverage and price, it was a no-brainer for me.

/ Tractor Insurance #9  
Typical homeowners merely covered the tractor as it would any other object of value, such as tools, clothes or appliances. That really isn't good enough for lien holder, usually, and doesn't cover replacement, merely a pro-rated cash settlement, minus a deductible. Doesn't cover it at all if left the property, not even down to the next couple of neighbor's yards, fields or driveways. Doesn't cover it on the road.

That might be acceptable to a guy with a lower valued machine who never takes it any off his property. The loss wouldn't be the end of the world and would suit those who don't wish to be insurance premium poor.

The woman who has some jewelry isn't too concerned either, but if she has a $50K diamond, she will want/need something more.

Inland Marine policies, purchased separately, above and beyond generic homeowners, will do what is needed for tractors, boats, jewels, valuable antiques and other such things for those who want/need broader coverage.

/ Tractor Insurance #10  
HI,
I have just completed the quest. It is not as easy as one would think to get tractor insurance. My old insurance company would not cover it at all. I started the search for a new insurance (home owners) company that would actually cover the tractor. I found a huge range of options from different companies. You will have to shop around and may have to change insurance companies to get the coverage you want. My tractor is now insured with liability no matter where it is--trailer, neighbors, what ever. It took a while to find the right insurance company. Good luck. FYI i am in michigan and "Farmers" insurance is where i ended up.