slip clutch did not slip

/ slip clutch did not slip #1  

Bob_S

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 hydro, 4wd
My fault. I did not free up the slip clutch on my new rotary cutter (as its manual recommended). At one point I almost stalled the tractor when I hit a large rock. My panac reaction was to turn off the tractor but by the time I did, the engine was allmost stalled. The overloading occurred somewhat gradually (2-3 seconds). I will make sure to service the slip clutch in the future. Is it possable to cause damage to the tractor under this condition? Thanks!

/ slip clutch did not slip #2  
Bob
it's not good for the tractor, but you would not be the first to do it. I sure would look at that clutch though.

/ slip clutch did not slip #3  
Need to check those springs on that clutch.. possibly even put some slip plate compound on the discs. Places like tsc sells it.. keeps the discs from 'freezing' up after sitting for long periods.

Does your setup also use a shear bolt? If so, check it to see if it started to shear. Wouldn't want you to start hogging again, just to stop immediatly to replaced a bolt.

Soundguy

/ slip clutch did not slip #4  
Mine did the same thing on my First Choice 48" tiller. I loosened the slip clutch bolts untill the springs turn free. Use the tiller and got it to slip then went back and slowly tightend them up untill it slipped the way i wanted it too. Now it works great. Lary