Traction Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast?

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #1  

johnrex62

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SUHST
When pulling small trees with a chain off the drawbar, how much difference does loading R4 tires make?

My soil is hard clay and I only work when dry. I don't have a ballast box, but do have a 400lb boxblade to hang off the back and keep the FEL on. There are no wheel weights possible on the R4, so the boxblade or loaded tires are the only weight options I have at the moment. 90% of my work is mowing, but when pulling trees I want to maximize my capabilities for the least money.

Is loading the tires with water worth the effort?

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #2  
i would not run a cut without loading the tires. I have had them both ways. the only time it is an issue is when a lawn is real wet then the weight can leave marks. MOst other times any marks are superficial and go away quicly. the extra weight helps for alot of operations. I use rim guard because it freezes hear.

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #3  
When cutting your tree/trees would this be 2 or 1 man job?
If 2 man tractor operator try and keep pace/timing w/saw man..you should have enough ballast...should be need to add water or extra cost.

When I cut and pull tree by myself..depends of tree lean,ground surface etc...I cut about half way hold w/ good snug from tractor..my ballast rear blade loaded rear R4's

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #4  
I have the best luck pulling trees after some rain. and pushing them over first with the fel. loaded tires are great for a lot of uses. but pulling trees from the drawbar already has the load low, not sure you'd see a big difference on tree pulling traction.
pulling trees from clay soils is kinda like women; some trees will and some trees won't.

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #5  
I agree. I would not run a CUT without the rear tires being loaded. I've been too close to turnover with loaded tires and weight on the back to know to never work without loaded tires.

For pulling trees, it'll make the difference between the tires wanting to float over the ground vs. actually getting into more contact with the ground. You could get a similar effect by installing dual tires. I had a Gravely tractor before this JD, and it had poor tractor (unloaded tires) before I put duals on it. Couldn't climb our hill out back with much in the trailer behind it until I went with dual tires.

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #6  
My tires are loaded and when I pull trees, I use my boxblade. I have a short length of chain attached to the boxblade and from there I use a choker to the butt of the tree. Total length from boxblade to butt of tree is about 5 feet. This allows me to use the boxblade to lift the butt of the tree off the ground for easier dragging.

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast?
When cutting your tree/trees would this be 2 or 1 man job?
If 2 man tractor operator try and keep pace/timing w/saw man..you should have enough ballast...should be need to add water or extra cost.

When I cut and pull tree by myself..depends of tree lean,ground surface etc...I cut about half way hold w/ good snug from tractor..my ballast rear blade loaded rear R4's

Could go either way, but my trees are almost not big enough to be called a tree anywhere but on the plains or in a desert. They are just big enough to be real hard on a brush hog and leave a big splintered "stump". They are usually under 5 inches, but over 3 inches. Most of my cleanup is hogging, but there are a few spots I can't drive into because of these larger "saplings". A second person would just handle the chain so I don't have to jump in and out. I generally pull these little ole thangs whole.

I have not had a lot of trouble so far, but every once in a while I hit one that puts up a fight and since my tires are unloaded I wonder if loading them would make a substantial difference.

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #8  
It is much easier to pull a tree with a wet root system.

If it is hard clay, then something like this to loosen the roots.

Attachments

• ranripper01a.jpg
    ranripper01a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 117
  • yelllow digger.jpg
    yelllow digger.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 105
   / Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #9  
johnrex62, Do a search for "tree getter". It may be faster for you to push the trees with the FEL to loosen then lift with a tree getter & eliminate the chain completely. MikeD74t

/ Tree pulling traction: loaded tires or ballast? #10  
Funny this has come up. I am going cutting today. Goal is 4 dump truck loads. There were be three of us. My tractor and a BobCat. I will do all the pulling, BC will do all the loading.

Here is what I have down to really pull. My tractor is a 28HP Jinma. Its heavy. Empty weight was about 3,100# plus loaded tires, rear wheel weights, front weight box with 4 suit case weights, and a FEL. It now is about 5,200#. I have R1's that can not be stopped. I put in my 3 point trailer hitch and have a draw bar with a chain hook welded on. I use a short choker chain and back right up to it with the 3 point down, hitch up, and raise the 3 point to get the logs about 6" off the ground and pull. This transfers a lot of the weight to the rear wheels.

Using this set up I can out pull the 85 HP BC and my neighbors 45HP tractor.

Chris