Snowblower PTO speed

/ Snowblower PTO speed #1  

B7500

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HSD
Hey guys,
I just ordered a new front snowblower attachment for my Kubota B7500. I would like to leave my backhoe on for added traction. The trouble is I should not operate the PTO speed at the higher rate. Will my snowblower work OK at 540 rpm or should I just take off the BH and operate it at 960?
Thanks,
Terry

/ Snowblower PTO speed #2  
Doesn't the front mounted snowblower run off of the mid-PTO? The mid-PTO is geared different than the rear-PTO. I think my mid-PTO runs at 2000rpm while the rear is at 540rpm.

/ Snowblower PTO speed #3  
I don't own a tractor, but I have seriously looked at the 7500, can't you also just engage the mid-pto? This would then leave the rear PTO not turning at all.

/ Snowblower PTO speed
I think you are right. I missunderstood the speeds. It looks like my rear has two speeds. Do you know if the mid is always on?

/ Snowblower PTO speed
That's where I'm confused. I see where I can change rear speeds but I don't see how to engage or dissengage the mid. Could it be always turning?
-T

/ Snowblower PTO speed #6  
My BX-22 has a selector lever that allows you to pick either the mid- or rear-pto or both, but I don't know if that is duplicated somewhere on your 7500. You could call your dealer to confirm.

/ Snowblower PTO speed #7  
You should run your snowblower at an RPM that will give you a discharge velocity of about 5000 feet/min. To determine you discharge velocity multiply the RPM of your impeller by the diameter of the impeller in feet by pi (3.14). For example, I run my pto at 1000 rpm and my impeller is 21 inches or 1.75 feet in diameter which gives me a discharge speed of about 5500 feet/min. This will blow dry snow about 100 feet.

/ Snowblower PTO speed #8  
The uncertainty of mid and rear PTO engagement is one reason why I stayed away from a B7500... It seems that they consolidated the levers into one a year or so ago. Perhaps it was just an untrained salesman, but he was unable to answer just those types of questions (long story).

However, on the topic of leaving your BH on for traction, I'd advise against that. Firstly, it will restrict your turning capabilities, and additionally, one of the reasons for a snowblower is that the tractor should blow the snow, not push it (reducing the required traction). Further, I plow with my TC21D (similar in weight to a B7500) - no chains or additional weights. Yes it spins a bit, but just lock in the front axle, and lock up the dif. and away you go!

/ Snowblower PTO speed #9  
<font color=blue>I would like to leave my backhoe on for added traction. </font color=blue>

How could you dare expose such a prized posession to the harsh winter environment? It should be taken off at the first sign of frost and stored in the cedar closet next to your wife's sweaters for safe keeping/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Seriously, don't think you'll need all that weight. Solves your PTO speed problem too.

/ Snowblower PTO speed
Hazmat,
Hehe. You know you're absolutely right. How dare I abuse my baby! Still, do you think I will at least need chains??
-Terry