Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Default Re: I feel I want a second tractor!!!!

I also want another tractor. I'm the half owner of 2 antiques, but they are on the farm where I grew up, so I can't use them at my place. I don't have a FEL on my Boomer and to add one would cost over $4k, so I think I'd rather go find an old antique (Allis Chalmers, Farmall, Oliver, etc) with a loader (as long as itís not a trip bucket). As long as it ran good enough to do some loader work it might be handier to have 2 tractors. For example, I could use the Boomer to pull the trailer and the antique to load the trailer. I have to admit Iím sort of looking for an excuse to buy an antique since Iíve always wanted one.

Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

I spent $5000 on my Oliver 1550 with a loader, so I agree that it's not worth $4000 just for a loader. It's always good to have two tractors. For example: I hook up my Ferguson to my manure spreader, and load it with the Oliver. When it's full I just go. Speeds up the process!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

One thing about the antiques is that they were over built and they last a long time. It's common to tractors well over 50 years old that are still being used every day and going strong. I have to admit that I doubt my Boomer will last as long.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585

20HP and you forgot about it!? I must really need a second one then, b/c my 8HP 1973 JD110 is barely able to cut grass and haul me at the same time...

Got my toothbar! Now if I could find a few minutes to bolt the sucker on...

Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

So do I! Brad has the set up I would love, the bigger kubota for the tractor work, and a ZTR for the mowing. Let's see, a new 7800 with a FEL and a ZD21 for the finish mowing.... ah, it is fun to dream!
    Will

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson MF 1220

I've got a slightly unusual Power-trac PT1418 (articulated steering and attachments hook to the front rather than the back), so I'd certainly consider any excuse to add a second tractor that's more of a traditional CUT. Any excuse will work, in my book. I doubt my lovely wife reads the same book though...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now, that's not to say that I don't like my old PT (I really like it, in fact!). Sometimes, it would be nice to be able to hook up a reasonably inexpensive 3PH attachment and go (the PT attachments are not cheap!).

Dave

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

BILL: i think u found me out![img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] the only thing that stops me is i only got enough room for 2 and the wife would disown me if i bought another. no such thing as too many tractors.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    L4610,BX2200,ZD28F

Cowboydoc said it well,"you only live once". We have an L-4610 to pull our Finish Mower with,a BX2200/60' MMM,and a G-1900S/60" MMM that we use as our trim mower. All three have their purpose, and I would be lost without any one of them.

If I were you,I would GO FOR IT!!! If all you want to do is mow with the second unit,I would consider the ZTR market.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

<font color=blue>and a ZTR for the mowing.

No offense, ans each of us has our own dreams... but I just can't get used to those ZTR mowers... just not enough utility. And a good one costs almost as much as a low end small -new- tractor with a finish mower, like a NH TC 18.

And the tractor would have other uses... and pto.. and 3pt hitch.

The other thing that bothers me about them is they get stuck soooooooo easy. I drive past a bunch of private shopping centers on my way to work in the am.. and ,most of these places contract out to lawn services using ztr's.
    3 times last week, I saw one hopelessly stuck in soft ground, and the operator walking back to the parking lot. ANother instance a week ago, I saw 2 huge gouges in the sod at an area, and looke dlike a car had wrecked.. turn out the ztr was stuck and chewed up a huge area to get out.

Lastly, saw a county road maintenance tractor pulling a ztr out of a drainage ditch he had been mowing.. the tractor had no problems going down into the dra chaining up, and dragging the guy out... 12' batwing and all still attatched.

Again.. just MY opinion...

Soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Soundguy, I'm with you on the ZTR mowers. I realize they're great for mowing, but no good for anything else. Also, I know one wouldn't make it up a couple of hills I have. When the grass is damp, I need FWD on the Boomer. Plus, those small wheels would make for a rough ride on my property! I'm slowly but surely getting it smoother though, with the various implements I can pull with the Boomer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast