I feel I want a second tractor!!!!

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #21  
I also want another tractor. I'm the half owner of 2 antiques, but they are on the farm where I grew up, so I can't use them at my place. I don't have a FEL on my Boomer and to add one would cost over $4k, so I think I'd rather go find an old antique (Allis Chalmers, Farmall, Oliver, etc) with a loader (as long as it’s not a trip bucket). As long as it ran good enough to do some loader work it might be handier to have 2 tractors. For example, I could use the Boomer to pull the trailer and the antique to load the trailer. I have to admit I’m sort of looking for an excuse to buy an antique since I’ve always wanted one.

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #22  
I spent $5000 on my Oliver 1550 with a loader, so I agree that it's not worth $4000 just for a loader. It's always good to have two tractors. For example: I hook up my Ferguson to my manure spreader, and load it with the Oliver. When it's full I just go. Speeds up the process!

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #23  
One thing about the antiques is that they were over built and they last a long time. It's common to tractors well over 50 years old that are still being used every day and going strong. I have to admit that I doubt my Boomer will last as long.

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #24  
20HP and you forgot about it!? I must really need a second one then, b/c my 8HP 1973 JD110 is barely able to cut grass and haul me at the same time...

Got my toothbar! Now if I could find a few minutes to bolt the sucker on...

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #25  
So do I! Brad has the set up I would love, the bigger Kubota for the tractor work, and a ZTR for the mowing. Let's see, a new 7800 with a FEL and a ZD21 for the finish mowing.... ah, it is fun to dream!
Will

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #26  
I've got a slightly unusual Power-trac PT1418 (articulated steering and attachments hook to the front rather than the back), so I'd certainly consider any excuse to add a second tractor that's more of a traditional CUT. Any excuse will work, in my book. I doubt my lovely wife reads the same book though.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Now, that's not to say that I don't like my old PT (I really like it, in fact!). Sometimes, it would be nice to be able to hook up a reasonably inexpensive 3PH attachment and go (the PT attachments are not cheap!).

Dave

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #27  
BILL: i think u found me out!/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif the only thing that stops me is i only got enough room for 2 and the wife would disown me if i bought another. no such thing as too many tractors.

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #28  
Cowboydoc said it well,"you only live once". We have an L-4610 to pull our Finish Mower with,a BX2200/60' MMM,and a G-1900S/60" MMM that we use as our trim mower. All three have their purpose, and I would be lost without any one of them.

If I were you,I would GO FOR IT!!! If all you want to do is mow with the second unit,I would consider the ZTR market.

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #29  
<font color=blue>and a ZTR for the mowing.

No offense, ans each of us has our own dreams... but I just can't get used to those ZTR mowers... just not enough utility. And a good one costs almost as much as a low end small -new- tractor with a finish mower, like a NH TC 18.

And the tractor would have other uses... and pto.. and 3pt hitch.

The other thing that bothers me about them is they get stuck soooooooo easy. I drive past a bunch of private shopping centers on my way to work in the am.. and ,most of these places contract out to lawn services using ztr's.
3 times last week, I saw one hopelessly stuck in soft ground, and the operator walking back to the parking lot. ANother instance a week ago, I saw 2 huge gouges in the sod at an area, and looke dlike a car had wrecked.. turn out the ztr was stuck and chewed up a huge area to get out.

Lastly, saw a county road maintenance tractor pulling a ztr out of a drainage ditch he had been mowing.. the tractor had no problems going down into the dra chaining up, and dragging the guy out... 12' batwing and all still attatched.

Again.. just MY opinion...

Soundguy

/ I feel I want a second tractor!!!! #30  
Soundguy, I'm with you on the ZTR mowers. I realize they're great for mowing, but no good for anything else. Also, I know one wouldn't make it up a couple of hills I have. When the grass is damp, I need FWD on the Boomer. Plus, those small wheels would make for a rough ride on my property! I'm slowly but surely getting it smoother though, with the various implements I can pull with the Boomer.