Hand Tool Storage opinions

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #11  
I know a flame war is going to start. harbor freight has a 3 tier rollaround coupond for $130 in many mags if inside on concrete it works well at least dump point for tools. I have 3 craftsman rolls that havn't moved in 15 yrs and the hf holds common tools in house so don't run to garage unless odd ball

PR

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #12  
I have one of the sams club tool boxes. It is great, huge, stainless steel, ball bearing drawers. I saw it in the clearance/damaged section at sams, and had them send up front with my name on it. It was marked down to $300 from $600 something (just from a small dent on the back). Anyway, by the time I made it up front, there was a guy pushing it out the door. I stopped him and he said he just bought it, I showed him my name on it, and he said he did not notice it. A manager came over, and the guy was really getting irritated. The manager was really cool thou and told me he would have to sell a brand new boxed unit for the discount price. The other guy was pissed then because he could not get the one without the dent!
Anyway great toolbox, even at full price.
Dave

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #13  
Do you need to haul tools around on the place or will you be using them mostly in the shop? I have three, soon to be four large roll aways in the shop. It works great because I can usually put a tool right back where it belongs as soon as I use it. This keeps them from getting scattered around. These boxes contain about a 45 year collection of tools.

For going out in the field I have a pretty large three drawer tool box with a handle on top. It's heavy, but I can set it in the back of my pick up when need be.

If you go with shop storage as opposed to field storage, use the tray that comes in a top box to haul a hand full of tools out where you might need them.

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #14  
I know a flame war is going to start. harbor freight has a 3 tier rollaround coupond for $130 in many mags if inside on concrete it works well at least dump point for tools. I have 3 craftsman rolls that havn't moved in 15 yrs and the hf holds common tools in house so don't run to garage unless odd ball

PR

From the reviews I've seen the higher quality HF tool chests (the red ones) are pretty good for the money. The cheaper ones don't have smooth drawers and are thinner metal, though maybe good enough for some.

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #15  
Just bought one of those high quality HF tool cabinets #90320 last weekend. 13 drawer roller cabinet on sale now for $369.99 used a 20% off coupon made it $295.99. I am impressed with the build quality of this cabinet. It weighs 285 lbs. with a weight capacity of 2894 lbs. Someday will get the side cabinets that go with it. I am going to use the top to set a small lathe on like this reviewer suggests. A note about his review, My top draw does not have any side movement like his cabinet and the silica packs where on the top of the cabinet when we unwrapped it. There are several posts in other automotive and shop forums regarding the construction quality of this cabinet if you care to google it.

Harbor Freight Tool Chest

13 Drawer Red Industrial Quality Roller Cabinet

Last edited:
   / Hand Tool Storage opinions #16  
Ive been a Die Maker for 13 years and have owned the same Craftsman tool chest with the matching top chest the whole time. Its 40 inches long and at the time it was the biggest sears offered. It has served me well. Now that im out of the tool and die business, its still serving me well out in the garage. As far as out in the field goes, I have a small toolbox bolted to the top of the fender on my tractor (you can see it in the pic). That box just has the basic tools in it but sometimes thats all I need.

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #17  

I got the Craftsman rollaround 25 years ago. NON ball bearing slides. I removed all the drawers when brand new and empty and greased everything. Drawers stilll slide nicely to this day.

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #18  
I have about 23 rollaway tool carts and maybe 5 top chests for tools and parts. All of them are Sears (made by Waterloo) some sliders some ball bearing models there OK but not great. I use them on service trucks instead of utility bodies and are much better for tools and parts organization. If I were to recommend a chest to a homeowner it would be the 52" stack unit with ball bearings and grip latch drawers.

I would first look for a good deal on a second hand unit though, there can be some good deals to be had.

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #19  
Well you can borrow my son and you want need a big storage chest. He seems to feel that Strategically leaving tools around is the way to go.:D

AndyG

/ Hand Tool Storage opinions #20  
Screw a sheet of 4x8' 3/4" plywood to the wall and mount the tools to it. You will be able to find your tools quick and more importantly, will be able to know if you have one out somewhere.

I have the cheap tools on the wall and the better ones in the rollaround. If someone wants to borrow one, I point to the wall. Easy to determine if the tool came home or not too.