Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L1-20 DT

Default Re: 4wd

Interesting Vin !!

I learn something every day.

I know it is vital not to engage 4x4 in my truck on the bitumen even though the front and rears drive at same speed and are the same size.

This is due from turning where the fronts travel further than the rears.

I didn't realise that tractors are behind the 8 ball from the start, in that theire fronts are being driven faster than the rears.

I'd say that using 4x4 in a tractor is therefore only for VERY slippery surfaces??

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 790, JD 6420

Don't tell my little tractor that ... it would not understand that running with power to all fours is only for very slipery surfaces ... it is in that configuration most of the time ... why? to provide traction and go power ...

Tractor
    ford 3000,case SI..Just purchased a 404 Futon (40 hp 4wd) with a koyker FEL

could not find the website listed.but gonna take a guess that is says mebe.....tractor rear ratio is ummmmm 4:12 to 1 and ft is like 5:38 to 1?which in a 4x4 truck is way outta perportion.but in a tractor the fts run aprox a 1 1/2 to 1 compared to the rears.ie:16" fts compared to say 24" rears...mathamatically wise would bring the ft and rear ratios in to prospective.WOW did i say that?...lmao...any how when changing rears on a 4x4 tractor ya hasta change with the oem size...please don`t flame me on the ratios or sizes as these are only aprox "coffee" figures ....Sid