Backhoe Newbie to backhoe

/ Newbie to backhoe #11  
Pete,

I thought you were just waiting for snow so to spot and BH those piles.. and no damage to the lawn /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Carl

/ Newbie to backhoe #12  
With four permanent golden retrievers and usually a couple of rescues on the premises, you really have to develop a method lest spring find your entire lawn covered with land mines as the snow retreats. So what I do is to snowshoe a path from the porch to the septic tank. The dogs much prefer the packed snow to the powder, so 99% of the time will do their thing on or near the packed snow. When spring comes me and my shovel and bucket only have to patrol a small part of the yard...and since the septic tank is at the end it all goes in there. You might say I have a 1000 gallon Doggie Doolie! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Pete

/ Newbie to backhoe
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to get a dog ;-) Running the engine slower really is important during this learning process. And while my place was being built I took plenty of pics so I could see just where all the lines are underground. Those have proved useful many times.
JS

/ Newbie to backhoe #14  
Pete,

Great idea about taking the path of least resistance and making it easier in the spring!

JS
Took this somewhat off course, here regarding BH operation, so just few pointers on what I have found;

- when in close quarters woods etc fold the BH close to the tractor minimizes surprises backing up
- Setup for digging about a foot short of where you want a hole since the digging action usually will take you backward
- put rocks and roots 3' or so to one side of a trench and the backfill opposite, then return and scoop the rocks into a pile

On a safety note, kids are fascinated with machines and esp BH's - make them stand at least 8' away, out of swing range and stop if they venture near. I work slow when they are watching then stop from time to time for them to "check the progress" ..

Have fun and enjoy your new green machine.

Carl

/ Newbie to backhoe #15  
Pete
I have clicked on the little finger with string tied to it, in the left hand corner of your post. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

I’ll send you a reminder next year when it’s time to get the BH out of storage. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Newbie to backhoe #16  
Looks like I finished up with the hoe just in time! Two inches of snow on the ground and still falling! Won't be long before Clementine will be wearing her ice chains...

Pete

/ Newbie to backhoe
These things are great! The clay here is so hard that when I try to hand shovel it I can't get in an inch.... Now the only sweat I break is, well, I don't break a sweat.

I've found that 3 things improve my backhoe-ing...

1. Keep the engine slow. If I'm figuring correctly, and from what I've observed, I don't get any more power from the hydraulics, they just move faster. When my backhoe bogs down and doesn't move when under too much clay/dirt, increasing rpm hasn't produced more power to get the bucket through the stuff.

2. Just like any other hydraulic... make small control movements

3. Same advice as for newlyweds... practice, practice, practice. Well maybe that's for my fly casting, guitar, daughters' fiddling, ...