Backhoe Newbie to backhoe

/ Newbie to backhoe #1  

ColorMeGreen

Tractor
JD4400
I just got a backhoe for my JD4400. Did my first 40' trench 2' deep. Are there any tips/pointers for digging or trenching with a backhoe?

JS

/ Newbie to backhoe #2  
Watch out for buried utilities.
Gas lines can make a BIG BOOM :)

/ Newbie to backhoe #3  
Can't offer you any operational tips, but can remind you that you always need to call Diggers Hotline before you do any digging so all of the utilities are identified. Otherwise, like Hoeman00 said, it could go BOOM! Also, if you're planning on hiring out with it, you absolutely need to get contractor's liability insurance. Don't even consider using that thing off your property without insurance.

Good luck and have fun! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Newbie to backhoe #4  
I try to get the longest reach possible to save on moving the tractor as often. practice using both controls at the same time to get nice flat bottoms. the most important tip is knowing what is under the dirt you are removing utilities can be very costly to repair if dammaged.

/ Newbie to backhoe #5  
This link goes to the standard manual for union operating engineers. I hear it's very good. I have yet to pick it up but it's on the want list.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.equiptrain.com/index.html/>Equipment Training manuals</A>

I have another called "Backhoe Loader Handbook" by Reinar Christian. (ISBN 0-924659-72-6) I thought it was a decent read. It does take a little imagery to translate the words to action. These are by no means a subsitute for practice, but they do offer the things an operator should be thinking about while working. I got it at Amazon.com

/ Newbie to backhoe #6  
Congratulations! I've said many times before that hoeing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

When getting used to my Woods 7500 subframe hoe, I ran it at lower RPMs to focus on my technique. Also, after those first few hours, I watched the town's trackhoe in operation and learned a lot about control from a master. Trenching was easy. My best practice came from digging up boulders and stumps. I can now scoop up the dog poop without damaging the lawn. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Enjoy! Pete

/ Newbie to backhoe #8  
Ah.....scooping up the dog poop...another use for the backhoe. I was just using it to dig the hole to bury the poop, but I never thought about actually using it to pick up the poop.

Thanks Boodox,

~Rick

/ Newbie to backhoe #9  
<font color=blue>I can now scoop up the dog poop without damaging the lawn.</font color=blue>

Pete

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif I believe that we should be blessed with a series of pictures demonstrating your technique. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Newbie to backhoe #10  
You'll have to wait till next year, Ron. I parked and tarped the backhoe under a tamarack tree for the winter season.

Pete