Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    JD4400

Default Newbie to backhoe

I just got a backhoe for my JD4400. Did my first 40' trench 2' deep. Are there any tips/pointers for digging or trenching with a backhoe?

JS

Tractor
    NH TC35D/SUPER H&M/F-20/JD B&D/FORDSON/JD250 SSL

Default Re: Newbie to backhoe

Watch out for buried utilities.
    Gas lines can make a BIG BOOM

Elite Member
    Tractor
    None -yet. Until then FunBuggy (EZ-Go) will have to do!

Can't offer you any operational tips, but can remind you that you always need to call Diggers Hotline before you do any digging so all of the utilities are identified. Otherwise, like Hoeman00 said, it could go BOOM! Also, if you're planning on hiring out with it, you absolutely need to get contractor's liability insurance. Don't even consider using that thing off your property without insurance.

Good luck and have fun! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    KUBOTA BX-22

I try to get the longest reach possible to save on moving the tractor as often. practice using both controls at the same time to get nice flat bottoms. the most important tip is knowing what is under the dirt you are removing utilities can be very costly to repair if dammaged.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

This link goes to the standard manual for union operating engineers. I hear it's very good. I have yet to pick it up but it's on the want list.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.equiptrain.com/index.html/>Equipment Training manuals</A>

I have another called "Backhoe Loader Handbook" by Reinar Christian. (ISBN 0-924659-72-6) I thought it was a decent read. It does take a little imagery to translate the words to action. These are by no means a subsitute for practice, but they do offer the things an operator should be thinking about while working. I got it at Amazon.com

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

Congratulations! I've said many times before that hoeing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

When getting used to my Woods 7500 subframe hoe, I ran it at lower RPMs to focus on my technique. Also, after those first few hours, I watched the town's trackhoe in operation and learned a lot about control from a master. Trenching was easy. My best practice came from digging up boulders and stumps. I can now scoop up the dog poop without damaging the lawn. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Enjoy! Pete

Tractor
    '92 Ford 4630

Here is a professional hoe operator for ya. If you look closely, this guy is drinking coffee and eating a donut..

http://www.trainorders.com/stories/2002/10/21/455.php

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

Ah.....scooping up the dog poop...another use for the backhoe. I was just using it to dig the hole to bury the poop, but I never thought about actually using it to pick up the poop.

Thanks Boodox,

~Rick

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

<font color=blue>I can now scoop up the dog poop without damaging the lawn.</font color=blue>

Pete

[img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img] I believe that we should be blessed with a series of pictures demonstrating your technique. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

You'll have to wait till next year, Ron. I parked and tarped the backhoe under a tamarack tree for the winter season.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast