Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #171  
Cool thread, glad I found this one. This is mainly what we use our tractors for. For the smaller stuff the bucket works well, but for largers rounds we use logging tongs on the 3pt boom. Quick loading and unloading when you stack 'em like this on the trailer!

For moving rounds that size I bucket them out of the woods to this.

From there they go to the splitting yard. I only use this method when I cannot skid the whole tree out for some reason.

Attachments

• Big Bess03.jpg
    Big Bess03.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Big Bess01(1).jpg
    Big Bess01(1).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 148
   / Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #172  
In my woods, the trails are so muddy that most of the time you can not get a tractor down into them.
Ken
Pls tell us what tire tread you are using on your tractor.
larry

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #173  
It is one of the "fake" ones. A true 5 HP would be nicer but I have split about 20 face cord with it as it is.

Ken

Just wondering if you have ever put an amp clamp on the thing and watched it while running. And how many GPM is the pump. I would just like to know how many amps she draws.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #174  
Is that a true 5HP motor. Like a farm-duty TEFC type. Over 100lbs

or

Is is one of them air compressor type motors That really arent 5HP and only weigh 30-40lbs??
:thumbsup: .. Hey LD! .. Pls note that true 5hp 3450rpm motors do weigh around 40lb. Check the current specs for reality. A true 5 is going to use more than 5kw. ... so near 25A @ 220V. compressor duty is a scam. :confused: [:confused2:] Wish I knew, rather than suspected, the rationale behind the rating.
larry

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #175  
Just wondering if you have ever put an amp clamp on the thing and watched it while running. And how many GPM is the pump. I would just like to know how many amps she draws.

It is a GE 5 HP compressor motor with a face plate rating of 15 amps which lets me run it on a 12 gauge extension cord replugged for 220V. I have not hooked it up to an amp meter.

The pump is a Haldex Hydraulic Pump 16 GPM, 2-Stage, Model# 1001507

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #176  
It is a GE 5 HP compressor motor with a face plate rating of 15 amps which lets me run it on a 12 gauge extension cord replugged for 220V. I have not hooked it up to an amp meter.

Ken

The reason I as is because we briefly tried a 5HP compressor duty motor on our 11gpm logsplitter. With the ram all the way extended and keeping on the valve to build max PSI, the amperage draw was 20-21 Amps. Now in reaity, you are not building full PSI 90% of the time. You will only build enough to do the work at hand. But you also have a larger pump too.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #177  
:thumbsup: .. Hey LD! .. Pls note that true 5hp 3450rpm motors do weigh around 40lb. Check the current specs for reality. A true 5 is going to use more than 5kw. ... so near 25A @ 220V. compressor duty is a scam. :confused: [:confused2:] Wish I knew, rather than suspected, the rationale behind the rating.
larry

Can you post a link to a TRUE 5HP farm duty type motor TEFC that only weighs in at 40lbs:confused2:

BALDOR L3708T

Weighs 117lbs and FL Amps of 20.5 with a SF of 1.15. Gives you the ability to pull 23.5 Amps before any harm is done.

A motor like this Marathon Electric 5 HP Electric Air Compressor Motor, 56 Frame - 3241192 | Tractor Supply Company Also rated at 5HP only weighs 40lbs. FL Amps of 15 and a SF of 1 means ANY time you exceed 15 amps shortens the life of the motor.

BIG difference in these two "5HP" motors.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #178  

Ken
You can run any true 5HP 220V motor on 12ga. Youre only drawing 25-30A. An open air run of 12ga will handle that easy. Running 12ga in a wall, or for any long run is where you would have a problem at above 20A. The wall run could be dangerous because of heating.
larry

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #179  

Ken

You can run any true 5HP 220V motor on 12ga. Youre only drawing 25-30A. An open air run of 12ga will handle that easy. Running 12ga in a wall, or for any long run is where you would have a problem at above 20A. The wall run could be dangerous because of heating.
larry

Just another curious question. What sized breaker are you protecting that with?? Because even though your nameplate says 15A, I bet you often are pulling over 20A. Electric motors dont stall very easily. The locked rotor torque is usually 2-3 times the stated amperage. So a 15A motor WILL do the work required by say a 25A motor just by drawing more amperage, it just wont last long.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #180  
LD, that makes me think I could substitute a 220v 5 hp heavy duty motor for my 7 hp Briggs and have a quieter splitter. Pump is 13.x gpm 2-stage barnes jobby. I know this has little to do with the thread topic...
Jim