Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Default Re: Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

It is on a double 20 Amp breaker and has split ~20 face cord of hardwood. I expected the used motor I bought to be too small and fail and have been pleasantly surprised that it has not done so. But I keep my eyes open for a cheap used 5 HP motor just in case.

I bought a true 5 HP replacement motor for my air compressor and it weighs 95 lbs and pulls 24 amps.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Jim,

The electric is quieter but still makes more noise than I would have expected. The pump and valves etc make a reasonable amount of noise that I never noticed with the gas motor because the motor drowned them out.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Can you post a link to a TRUE 5HP farm duty type motor TEFC that only weighs in at 40lbs
    I didnt say farm duty .. however I just checked mine and it turns out its a 5HP compressor duty 230V 19.6A thermally protected. I weighed it at 55lbs. The amperage is why I didnt remember it being special duty. Its a Marathon 3450rpm with 5/8 shaft -- over 20yrs old, #WZL56B34D5302A. I cant find any info. Must be discontinued. Worked like a champ running my Kellogg American 5HP 2stage compressor @20CFM. Cutoff at 160PSI was around 27A as I remember. Gotta get that hooked back up - Iv been living with a smaller compressor since I moved.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota L2500 & 1010 John Deere

In my younger days, I split with a splitting maul but those days are long gone. At 71, I pull the cord on a 15 year old MTD splitter, makes things a lot easier. This splitter, by MTD, is a 20 ton and has been absolutely bullet proof, change the oil, keep the hydraulic fluid tank full and every few years, change the hydraulic filter. I'm still using the original sparkplug. Lucky me.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysisson View Post
    LD, that makes me think I could substitute a 220v 5 hp heavy duty motor for my 7 hp Briggs and have a quieter splitter. Pump is 13.x gpm 2-stage barnes jobby. I know this has little to do with the thread topic...
    Jim
    That's what I like about my electric splitter, that and the fact it tucks away under a workbench when I'm not using it. Only 5 ton and 110 volt, but it'll split most of the wood I have. Some stuff it simply won't do, but the chainsaw is never far away either. We've split maybe 6-8 cords with it so far and no problems. Not bad for under $400 Cdn. If you're a serious wood user it's not the machine for you, we go through about 2 cords or a bit less a year. Greta machine for making kindling in the house during winter months too.

I'm looking to build either a 3 point splitter, or a 220V 5 hp like the ones we're discussing, if the right deal comes along on the parts for them. I hate running the tractor just for hydraulics though, it's not loaded which isn't good for a diesel.

Sean

Tractor
    Many

I like to do all the chainsawing in the bush and haul as blocks then split in the yard , I do about 100cords per winter and deliver with this trailer within a 20 mile radius.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by D7E View Post
    I like to do all the chainsawing in the bush and haul as blocks then split in the yard , I do about 100cords per winter and deliver with this trailer within a 20 mile radius.
    That's a decent setup but seems like plenty of handwork for 100 cords. I'm guessing you have looked at firewood processors, the type that take in logs and split wood comes out the other end. Mind sharing your thoughts on that?
    Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Ford 5000 w/ loader

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    For folks that burn more than 1 or 2 cords of wood yearly, I think a 3pt/PTO cordwood saw is not a bad way to go. Cut the logs in the woods to a manageable length and weight with the chain saw, then finish cutting to stove lengths on the cordwood saw. If you have a woods trailer with stake sides, you can quickly move a lot of 4' to 6' firewood logs out of the woods when the weather and ground conditions are right.

It's faster than a chain saw, you don't spend as much of your time bent over running a chain saw - which I find to be the worst part. You put a lot less wear and tear on your chain saw too. It's easier to cut to uniform lengths with a cordwood saw than a chain saw if you like neat wood piles.

Of course, your logs cannot be bigger than the cordwood saw can handle safely.
    Dave.
    I have never heard of a cordwood saw how does it work? I get my wood fro a tree cutting co and most is 25" to 40". It is not easy to move stuff around that big.

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by D7E View Post
    100 bush cords? Wow, that is huge.
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    That's a decent setup but seems like plenty of handwork for 100 cords. I'm guessing you have looked at firewood processors, the type that take in logs and split wood comes out the other end. Mind sharing your thoughts on that?
    Dave.
    I have done more than 100cords some years but i dont think theres enough money in the job to justify the cost of a processor.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast