Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #181  
It is on a double 20 Amp breaker and has split ~20 face cord of hardwood. I expected the used motor I bought to be too small and fail and have been pleasantly surprised that it has not done so. But I keep my eyes open for a cheap used 5 HP motor just in case.

I bought a true 5 HP replacement motor for my air compressor and it weighs 95 lbs and pulls 24 amps.

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #182  
Jim,

The electric is quieter but still makes more noise than I would have expected. The pump and valves etc make a reasonable amount of noise that I never noticed with the gas motor because the motor drowned them out.

Ken

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #183  
Can you post a link to a TRUE 5HP farm duty type motor TEFC that only weighs in at 40lbs:confused2:
I didnt say farm duty .. however :eek: I just checked mine and it turns out its a 5HP compressor duty 230V 19.6A thermally protected. I weighed it at 55lbs. The amperage is why I didnt remember it being special duty. Its a Marathon 3450rpm with 5/8 shaft -- over 20yrs old, #WZL56B34D5302A. I cant find any info. Must be discontinued. Worked like a champ running my Kellogg American 5HP 2stage compressor @20CFM. Cutoff at 160PSI was around 27A as I remember. Gotta get that hooked back up - Iv been living with a smaller compressor since I moved.
larry

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #184  
In my younger days, I split with a splitting maul but those days are long gone. At 71, I pull the cord on a 15 year old MTD splitter, makes things a lot easier. This splitter, by MTD, is a 20 ton and has been absolutely bullet proof, change the oil, keep the hydraulic fluid tank full and every few years, change the hydraulic filter. I'm still using the original sparkplug. Lucky me.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #185  
LD, that makes me think I could substitute a 220v 5 hp heavy duty motor for my 7 hp Briggs and have a quieter splitter. Pump is 13.x gpm 2-stage barnes jobby. I know this has little to do with the thread topic...
Jim

That's what I like about my electric splitter, that and the fact it tucks away under a workbench when I'm not using it. Only 5 ton and 110 volt, but it'll split most of the wood I have. Some stuff it simply won't do, but the chainsaw is never far away either. We've split maybe 6-8 cords with it so far and no problems. Not bad for under $400 Cdn. If you're a serious wood user it's not the machine for you, we go through about 2 cords or a bit less a year. Greta machine for making kindling in the house during winter months too.

I'm looking to build either a 3 point splitter, or a 220V 5 hp like the ones we're discussing, if the right deal comes along on the parts for them. I hate running the tractor just for hydraulics though, it's not loaded which isn't good for a diesel.

Sean

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #186  
I like to do all the chainsawing in the bush and haul as blocks then split in the yard , I do about 100cords per winter and deliver with this trailer within a 20 mile radius.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #187  
I like to do all the chainsawing in the bush and haul as blocks then split in the yard , I do about 100cords per winter and deliver with this trailer within a 20 mile radius.

That's a decent setup but seems like plenty of handwork for 100 cords. I'm guessing you have looked at firewood processors, the type that take in logs and split wood comes out the other end. Mind sharing your thoughts on that?
Dave.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #188  
For folks that burn more than 1 or 2 cords of wood yearly, I think a 3pt/PTO cordwood saw is not a bad way to go. Cut the logs in the woods to a manageable length and weight with the chain saw, then finish cutting to stove lengths on the cordwood saw. If you have a woods trailer with stake sides, you can quickly move a lot of 4' to 6' firewood logs out of the woods when the weather and ground conditions are right.

It's faster than a chain saw, you don't spend as much of your time bent over running a chain saw - which I find to be the worst part. You put a lot less wear and tear on your chain saw too. It's easier to cut to uniform lengths with a cordwood saw than a chain saw if you like neat wood piles.

Of course, your logs cannot be bigger than the cordwood saw can handle safely.
Dave.
I have never heard of a cordwood saw how does it work? I get my wood fro a tree cutting co and most is 25" to 40". It is not easy to move stuff around that big.:(

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #189  

100 bush cords? Wow, that is huge.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #190  
That's a decent setup but seems like plenty of handwork for 100 cords. I'm guessing you have looked at firewood processors, the type that take in logs and split wood comes out the other end. Mind sharing your thoughts on that?
Dave.
I have done more than 100cords some years but i dont think theres enough money in the job to justify the cost of a processor.