Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #201  
Accordind to my log wt calculator that logs weighs just over 7600 lbs - heavy

Gordon beat me to it, I got the same :thumbsup:

As a hobby sawyer, I must say that it makes me cringe to see that beautiful sawlog cut up into little pieces :weepy:

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?
Accordind to my log wt calculator that logs weighs just over 7600 lbs - heavy

I figured it was between 7-8000lbs, it was all that tractor would pull.

Gordon beat me to it, I got the same :thumbsup:

As a hobby sawyer, I must say that it makes me cringe to see that beautiful sawlog cut up into little pieces :weepy:

I agree, in fact I called three mills to get prices. Based on my calculations the closest mill would have payed about $300 (20mi away) and the other two were about $400 and were about 70mi away. I would have also had to go get yet another large tractor with a loader, the dump truck, etc. Decided it wasn't worth the time and fuel. Now if I had my own mill it would have been a different story (someday)

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #203  
I've have a guy come here with his mill about once every other year. I'll cut down a nice sized Beech, Hard Maple, Yellow Birch, and maybe even a Cherry. That usually gives me enough wood for any project that'll come up. One of these days I'll cut up some Hemlock and build myself a solar kiln to dry it.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #204  
I have never heard of a cordwood saw how does it work? I get my wood fro a tree cutting co and most is 25" to 40". It is not easy to move stuff around that big.:(

I have a 3 point hitch cordwood saw. Instead of letting the wood fall off the end of the table after it is cut it falls on a conveyor and gets loaded into the truck. I am thinking about rigging up a screw type splitter so when the cut block gets pushed ahead it gets pushed into the screw splitter then falls on the conveyor. Kinda dangerous thou. Evan not having to hand load the 3/4 cord saves 20 minutes of back ache. The biggest problem is switching out my winch to cordwood saw. Think I need a motor for the cord wood saw or another tractor with a pto.

Wish I had pics but they are on my broken iPhone.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #205  
We burn 4 cord and season it a full year plus.I use a 3pth carrier made of plate steel and the FEL to move the 4' longs (burn 16"). Either off my two acres or 1/2 mile away at a friends woodlot. He trades huge yellow birch, cherry and maple (largest so far 28") for tractor work.
We stack the longs, buck them and split in a small area loading onto premade pallets (like Josh61543 w/o roof)
Going to purchase 3 pth forks soon. Then we will bring the split wood pallet to the house as needed. That piece alone will save a lot of work and free up my current winter supply under the deck for storing deck furniture and lawn mowers etc...
IMG_1924.jpgIMG_1812.jpgIMG_0819.JPG]

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #206  
be warned you can overload a frontend loader hauling wood.an get it so heavy that it wont lift it.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #207  
be warned you can overload a frontend loader hauling wood.an get it so heavy that it wont lift it.

I have a pallet with a box. I put 20 percent of a cord in the box at most. If on uneven ground less. I guess with all the weight on the back he could put a bit more.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #208  
I live in BC, we have very little hardwood that is any good for burning, Larch is the best around hear. I have a 14 ft bump trailer from PJ I put on sides, about a foot high I can get 3 cord of wood in it, the great thing about the trailer is when I get home you open the doors and unload the first row, I burn 2 ft pieces, then, close the doors and lift it. The top of the door is mid , thigh.
I have a garage with a side area 6 ft wide I have that I fill, three rows, 26 ft long 8 ft high. I also have a wood shed, 12x 12 ft. I fill that also. that in a normal winter gives me 3 years supply. This year we are burning fir as it was, easy to get at and only 15 mile round trip, we can get jack pine easily and many people like that. I live in the Kootenays, and get a permit, free, good for 2 years, you can not cut green wood, other than that most everything is good, on crown land, and on logging sites, cull piles.
I have a wood furnace, with electrical back-up, this year is colder than most and I am burning a little more wood than normal 4 cords is normal.I like to keep at least 2 years supply on hand just in case.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #210  
On the old hay elevator idea... I have one we converted for just this kind of work. In the pictures of the elevator, you can see both my dad's and my woodsplitters. Mine was later switched to a diesel engine (seen in the other pics)

photo_091907_001_525.jpg photo_091907_002_127.jpg photo_091907_003_508.jpg photo_121006_002_534.jpg photo_121006_003_148.jpg photo_121006_004_158.jpg photo_121006_005_261.jpg photo_121006_006_170.jpg