Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting?

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #21  
Keep trying different things and different ways. I have over the 40 years I've been cutting firewood on my place with less than 1/4 mile distance.

Now, have settled on the system I like best (similar to redgoatea's).
I cut the tree down, and buck it to lengths (90" for me) and haul on the forks back to my wood shed area where the logs are stacked on a slight uphill grade above the splitting area. There it is convenient to take an hour or two to block into 18" lengths, roll down to the splitter, split and stack onto a waiting pallet. Stack the pallets two high in rows for at least two years drying. Move the pallets of dry wood directly into attached garage as needed for burning.

I find this routine minimal impact on amount of equipment needed in the woods (tractor with chainsaw in scabbard and axe/log chains/wedges/water on the ballast box). That equipment is all I need in the woods and fuel/oil can be added when dropping logs off at the wood shed.

For splitting, just need to roll out the splitter, pick up an empty pallet with the forks, split a pallet full, and move that pallet to the drying area.

This is the most efficient I've been over the 40 years, and enjoy doing the work. Don't handle the wood more than three times. To stack, to unstack, to toss in the woodburner.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #22  
I have worked at wood every way mentioned-from cutting and hauling rounds out of the woods on a truck or tractor, to skidding to a landing and bucking there, to cutting up log length loads delivered to the house-and my answer is, it depends!!

Skidding to a landing works very well if the ground is frozen- no mud or dirt on the logs. It would not be my choice in the spring, summer, or fall.

I have been helping my brother cut on his property lately. He is an excavating contractor, so we have a variety of equipment to choose from. Even with that choice of equipment, we have been cutting in the woods, loading on his Mule, and splitting off the Mule and stacking. We can haul a little less than a face cord of 16" rounds on the Mule. His woods are between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile from his house, and we can 5-6 loads stacked in a morning's work. Of course, it is nice to pull trees out of the gullies, etc. with his Case dozer!!

Will

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #23  
Sometimes I use the Mule & cut up in the timber. Sometimes use the JD 420 w/log arch & bring the poles to the pile to cut up. This year I have the JD 790 & pallet forks, I can bring the poles to the pile & use the forks as a sawbuck!

I store my wood at the farm through the summer, then bring it home to split, stack & cover. ~~ grnspot110

I like your logging arch. I've thought about making two, one to two behind the tractor and a second that could be used to raise the rear of the log up off the ground. I have lots of mud, not deep but still dragging a log through it would make a mess.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #24  
Dirt, rocks and hills, almost 1/2 mile of trail from the woodshed to some of the trees.....
JD 4300 with forks, electric 3pth winch (at times) and an old trailer frame with steel uprights on tandem axles.
I skid out to the nearest point that I can park the trailer. Load logs (up to 18') with forks and take them back to woodshed. Most times I can cut to burning length while they are still on the trailer. The blocks get pushed/piled close to the upright tractor powered splitter which is chained to the woodshed.
When I need it the wood gets loaded into my FEL snowbucket and piled in a rack on my front porch 200yds away.
While skidding I try to keep the front of the logs off the ground to minimize dirt/mud and ease the pull, but touch up the saw everycouple of tankfuls.
A lot of my wood is dead when cut and runs from 6-16", oak, maple, birch, ash and poplar.
I have about 8 pallets that each hold 1/2 face cord that I use for storage as well, then take the whole pallet to the front porch.
I'm 65 and do most of it myself, unless I can get the kids up to help with some of the splitting and piling.
Leave a bit of mess at the woodshed, but the FEL takes care of that......

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #25  
We always cut to length and split in the woods. Seems to haul better that way. Usually some of our trees are so big we couldn't load them whole anyway (5-6' diameter). split with a maul, load by hand then stack again. Yeah it bites. But thats what works for us.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #26  
I really don't think its a one size fits all would work for everyone. It really depends on how much your burn, how much you need now, where is the wood and what equipment you have and the time of the year.

For me, I cut my woods from my folks land for them and me. We use the tractor, ATV, tow behind splitter, 4 different types of trailers and even the snowmobile with tow sled. During the dry season, we cut wood on dry land and take to splitting pile via tractors and ATV. During the winter, we cut the dying trees in swampy areas, we use the frozen ground/ice to our advantage. We use the snowmobile to tow rounds to the edge of dry area and stack for spring work with tractor. Sometimes the snow gets really packed down, we can use the ATV with small dump trailer and move wood with. If we cut already dead trees, we tend to use it right away and burn. Otherwise the big green stuff gets piled for spring/summer work. We don't have the need to do everything all at once.

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #27  
I like your logging arch. I've thought about making two, one to two behind the tractor and a second that could be used to raise the rear of the log up off the ground. I have lots of mud, not deep but still dragging a log through it would make a mess.

Thanks!

I do have a trailer for mine, long tongue to tow behind the arch & help in lifting end of log. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS II 045 - Copy.jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS II 045 - Copy.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,047
   / Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #28  

100_3144.jpg

SSPX0056.jpg

SSPX0025.jpg

100_3258.jpg

We use the logging arch behind the ATV to haul out to a spot the tractor can get to when it's thick going, then the skidding frame on the back of the tractor gets us the rest of the way to the woodpile. We normally only cut during winter, so ground is frozen and snow helps.

Sean

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #29  
Thanks!

I do have a trailer for mine, long tongue to tow behind the arch & help in lifting end of log. ~~ grnspot110

Now that's an interesting idea..

The nice thing about the arches is that they can be used as a lever to lift the butt up into place, I added the winch to mine to pull stuff a few feet that I couldn't back up to.

Sean

/ Logistics of firewood hauling and splitting? #30  
Now that's an interesting idea..

The nice thing about the arches is that they can be used as a lever to lift the butt up into place, I added the winch to mine to pull stuff a few feet that I couldn't back up to.

Sean

I use a winch on mine to lift, but use chain to pull. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS II 043 - Copy.jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS II 043 - Copy.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,159
  • GARDEN TRACTORS II 035 - Copy.jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS II 035 - Copy.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,243
  • Picture 297 (Small).jpg
    Picture 297 (Small).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 914