Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How often do you run your tractor?

In the couple of months or so that I have owned, I notice that my usage is somewhat sporadic. I will use the baby for a couple of days in a row and then not for a couple of weeks. I am guessing that this isn't that unusual. This probably isn't good for the battery and maybe alot of the moving parts. What are your feelings on this?

Thanks,
    Paul

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

Default Re: How often do you run your tractor?

The short answer is not often enough. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img] A couple of weeks won't hurt much. I try to run mine at least once a month if I havn't used it in awhile. I let it run at operating temp to boil out any condensation that might be in the engine. This keeps the battery up too.

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission

I use my L2500DT maybe twice a month -- that's as often as I can get up to the property. During the rainy months it's even less than that.

I was impressed when it sat idle for over a month one time, and when I finally got to it, it was one of those below freezing (28 degrees F is cold in these parts) mornings. Darned if it didn't start right up on the first crank.

Wish my truck was like that.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Couple plus weeks shouldn't hurt anything,for dealers have new and used equipment setting on there lots months on ends w/no start ups.

Every now and than I start the bota ride down the 250' driveway to get the mail,just to blow out the cob webs,also keep the battery charge plus check for leaks and strange noise.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3710

I try to use it once a week. I have a bad back and I can come up with odd things for it to help me with. Last night I was splitting firewood and didn't want to carry the wood to the wood pile that is 50 feet away. I took the FEL and went to work. My wife makes a few jokes when I do this but I havn't missed a day of work because of my back since I got the tractor. But I have missed some because I wanted to get some large projects completed before the weekend with the tractor.

Steve

Tractor
    NH TN55

Paul,

My farm is 180+ miles from my full-time residence, and I am only able to get to the farm about once a month. The owner's manual for my tractor (a NH TN-55) lists actions that should be taken if the tractor is to be idle for more than one month.
    As I recall, an issue discussed in the manual is keeping the injectors clean.

I have a neighbor start and warm up the tractor if it takes me more than a month to get back to the farm.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I only get to use mine every couple of weeks.. then it works for a few days, then sits again. If I don't use them every couple weeks, sometimes I will go out and start them and back them out of the barn while I am cleaning the horse stalls.. just to rotate the gears, and keep the batteries up, etc.

Soundguy

Tractor
    ford 3000,case SI..Just purchased a 404 Futon (40 hp 4wd) with a koyker FEL

Case is ran on a daily basis.Ford is run when field work is required.which might mean setting idle for any where from a month or two.Ford useally starts flawless.I have a shut off sw on the neg battery term.this aveliates any down trickle.also shut off fuel at the tank......Sid

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

<font color=blue>I havn't missed a day of work because of my back since I got the tractor. </font color=blue>

So true!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

I'm like you, "a couple of days in a row and then not for a couple of weeks" except in the spring, when I use it to mow at least once a week. In the winter it will sit for a month at a time, but winters are short here, so it's only a couple times that it sits that long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast