Problem with dirt

/ Problem with dirt #1  

TGF

Gold Member
Tractor
3038E
Some of you may have been following my adventure in the attachments forum with the box blade, and the small sub-thread in the repairs forum about fixing a tooth. We have a new problem.

The guy I helped grade his land has about (we are guessing based on volume calculations) about 40 tons of dirt in a pile in his back yard. One of the guys he worked with said he would take the dirt but has since backed out. We need to get rid of the dirt, the problem is several fold.

-I have no way to transport the dirt.
-The cost of dirt is so cheap that if you are moving it more than about 15 miles the fuel will cost more, so the few people I know that want fill dirt, won't take it for free because they can buy it delivered cheaper.

Any of you know a cheap and easy way to dispose of dirt?

/ Problem with dirt #2  
Maybe a "give away" type ad in the local classifieds?

even tho you say the few locals you know may not take it for free, but others may.

Have it that they need to come to you and they do / handle the hauling.

Can't hurt

/ Problem with dirt #5  
Use the FEL, the Box Blade and spread it out.

/ Problem with dirt #6  
Man I wish I knew someone that had dirt like that. We have several hundred acres and not enough dirt to fill in washouts etc.

/ Problem with dirt #7  
Make a mountain out of a mole hill.....Couldn't resist sorry.

Yep I am with spreading it thin. I have spread 100 yards of dirt at my Dad's house and was surprised at how much it took to fill in the low spots at his place. . A free ad is a good idea if they want to come and haul it away. Just watch out for people scoping out the property for more than dirt.

/ Problem with dirt #8  
Spreading 40 tons an inch deep would take about 8000 sq ft.
Too bad you don't live near the fellow with the gulley that he wants to turn into a horse arena.
BOB

/ Problem with dirt #9  
Spreading 40 tons an inch deep would take about 8000 sq ft.

BOB

Bob, I'm not sure about your math.

1 ton of loose expanded (dug and piled) dirt is about 1 yard -- actually a bit less than a yard, but call it 40 ton = 40 yards.

1 yard is 36"x36"x36" which is 46,656 cubic inches.

There are 144 square inches in a square foot so divide by 144 to get the number of square feet to cover 1" thick.

46,656 / 144 = 324 square feet. Or 18' by 18'

That's a lot different than 8000 sf...

/ Problem with dirt
He put an add on craigs list last night at you guys recommendation, he had to take it down this morning. The dirt is gone, he had a call at about 6:30am from a guy asking if he could have it all. Came and picked it up at 8am was done and gone by 9:30.