Live PTO - vs. what?

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I'm sure these are stupid questions, but what the hey - I haven't been able to find the answers on my own:

When referring to PTO, what does 'Live' mean? I've only seen reference to 'Live" PTOs, so what are the alternatives? Functional pros/cons?

Just curious.

JayC

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #2  
I'm sure these are stupid questions, but what the hey - I haven't been able to find the answers on my own:

When referring to PTO, what does 'Live' mean? I've only seen reference to 'Live" PTOs, so what are the alternatives? Functional pros/cons?

Just curious.

JayC

try this TractorData.com - Power Take-Off

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #3  
Live PTO is when you have a two stage clutch and when you push in on your clutch the PTO stops working. An Independent clutch runs when you flip a lever or switch and will still turn if you push in the clutch. Some of your older models even had a (what i call) Dead PTo whitch ran on ground speed. If the tractor slowed down so did the pto. I have two tractors the give an option of LIVE or DEAD PTO. Never seen much point in the DEAD PTO but im shure the made it for a reason. If anybody on here knows that answer i would like to know.:D

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #5  
a lil clarification may be in order. on a 2 stage clutch, going to the first level on the clutch should clutch drivetrain, and all the way clutches the pto. some setups had a foot and hand clutch, and the hand clutch could clutch drivetrain, and th foot clutch both drivetrain and pto.. etc.

you've got the tranny, non live pto, 2 stage clutch various live pto types, ground speed pto ( might be good for a spreader.. etc. ).. and then the independent pto's which by definition are also live.

soundguy

Live PTO is when you have a two stage clutch and when you push in on your clutch the PTO stops working. An Independent clutch runs when you flip a lever or switch and will still turn if you push in the clutch. Some of your older models even had a (what i call) Dead PTo whitch ran on ground speed. If the tractor slowed down so did the pto. I have two tractors the give an option of LIVE or DEAD PTO. Never seen much point in the DEAD PTO but im shure the made it for a reason. If anybody on here knows that answer i would like to know.:D

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #6  
Some of your older models even had a (what i call) Dead PTo whitch ran on ground speed. If the tractor slowed down so did the pto. I have two tractors the give an option of LIVE or DEAD PTO. Never seen much point in the DEAD PTO but im shure the made it for a reason. If anybody on here knows that answer i would like to know.:D

It would be used for something that depends on spacing, like a seed drill or spreader. As your groundspeed increases, it must work faster and as your groundspeed decreases it must slow as well to maintain even coverage or planting.

/ Live PTO - vs. what?
Hmm... my tractor (Kubota L4200GST) is supposed to have an independent PTO (at least as per tractordata.com), but I do know that my PTO has an on-off lever and is disengaged via the foot clutch, which sounds like a 'Live' PTO. The thread link referred to "Live Independent" configuration - is that what I have?

I think I get it though - PTO runs at engine speed and is disengaged via foot clutch. No clutch is required to change gears or stop/start with GST, so I guess it's the same setup that the Hydros use.

Thanks all - JayC

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #8  
Hmm... my tractor (Kubota L4200GST) is supposed to have an independent PTO (at least as per tractordata.com), but I do know that my PTO has an on-off lever and is disengaged via the foot clutch, which sounds like a 'Live' PTO. The thread link referred to "Live Independent" configuration - is that what I have?

I think I get it though - PTO runs at engine speed and is disengaged via foot clutch. No clutch is required to change gears or stop/start with GST, so I guess it's the same setup that the Hydros use.

Thanks all - JayC

That is the same setup as I have on my L5030 and for the life of me can't understand why it is set up that way either. I do not like that feature and prefer the way it is on my M8540 which is a true independent PTO.

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #9  
MY tractor has a hand clutch for my PTO. I can have my tractor in Neutral or have the foot clutch pushed in and still turn my PTO on with the hand lever. Or I can switch it so the PTO only spins when the tractor is moving, the faster the tractor goes, the faster the PTO spins. I love the hand lever setup. Works great.

/ Live PTO - vs. what? #10  
sounds like ind pto and ground speed pto.

soundguy