Backhoe as Tiller

/ Backhoe as Tiller #41  
Ain't it the truth though.

I don't feel a bit guilty sitting in my air conditioned cabs using every bit of technology available, but I have "put in my time" as I am sure you have.

My wife and I honestly can't find any young people to do manual labor on our farms. Kids want money, but won't work for it. We have tried several and have given up as after a day or so, they quit showing up.

Yeah agreed same problem around here! My wife and I are both self employed and I was an employer for about 20 years or so in my automotive repair shop same problems there no end to it so got tired of it not doing hiring any more.

I don't employ anyone now and don't ever plan on it again I have about 7 more years and I am done paying in still a youngster compared to some I know lol.

Me and her still out work and have more projects going on at any one time than most of the 30 somethings we know they are out goofing off and we work and then work some more sound familiar! :D

/ Backhoe as Tiller #42  
Too bad I'm not near you. Sounds right up my alley...;)

It sure is a shame. I raised my sons like I am guessing your parents raised you. Both learned to operate tractors, chainsaws and even a two-bit ax as well as machetes, splitting mauls and lawn mowers. They both hired out during the summer as we did not live on our farm at that time. They helped pay for their own cars and motorcycles as well as insurance.

Yeah agreed same problem around here! My wife and I are both self employed and I was an employer for about 20 years or so in my automotive repair shop same problems there no end to it so got tired of it not doing hiring any more.

I don't employ anyone now and don't ever plan on it again I have about 7 more years and I am done paying in still a youngster compared to some I know lol.

Me and her still out work and have more projects going on at any one time than most of the 30 somethings we know they are out goofing off and we work and then work some more sound familiar! :D

My brother also owned an auto shop for several years, so I know how that goes. He got tired of it and went to work for a corporation making more money with less hassles.

Sure does sound familiar. My wife and I just finished putting a culvert in our barn entrance. We are also in the process of clearing trees off of our pond levies. She is sixty-two years old and uses a chain saw and can mow with our L5030. I actually have to make her quit working at times. She will take our Rhino or Grizzly up in the woods to "relax" and I will find where she has been trimming limbs or some such thing.

We are retired and never run out of things to do. I laugh as everyone warned us not to retire saying, "You will be bored to death". We don't have time to be bored and love it that way. We just can't do the heavy stuff anymore which is frustrating.

/ Backhoe as Tiller #43  
Do not know if this has been said yet, but what the heck!

You could be a redneck if you till your garden with a backhoe!!!:D

/ Backhoe as Tiller #44  
HAULING manure and compost into my large garden ,with the tractor ,each year,really packs the soil down.Ihave a fence around the perimeter,and it really packs hard in inside the gate.That said when im done i always stir up every thing with my hoe,and loosen up the packed soil at the same time.My answer would be yes you can,i think it works great.Ihave a tiny hoe ,mabey that makes a difference.my 2cents
ALAN

/ Backhoe as Tiller #45  
Can you use a backhoe as a poor-man's tiller??? I'd like to have a small garden next year and I don't think a tiller is in the budget. So, has anyone done this before??? I think I once saw a video of it being done.
I've carefully read what you want to do, and I've read all the responses.
Pumpkins (or any squash), are the easiest to grow.
Pumpkin 'hills' should be planted 6 feet apart.(think about this carefully).
You don't need an entirely tilled garden.
Scoop the sod off,(one small bucket) turn a little soil in your 'hole'...........lay black plastic over the grass surrounding the area, plant 3 seeds in each hill..........and walk away.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Backhoe as Tiller
Thanks for the replies everyone!!! :thumbsup: It gives me a lot to think about.

/ Backhoe as Tiller #47  
[QUOTE "We arn't planning on getting any tillage equipment anytime soon. (alot of other things to come before a $2k tiller for a couple of pumpkins) = can't use backhoe - no pumpkins..."

Do not know if this has been said yet, but what the heck!

You could be a redneck if you till your garden with a backhoe!!!:D

I always knew I was a redneck. Here is a picture of me working around the edge of my garden with my excavator subsoiling to improve drainage and breaking tree roots that invade the garden. The excavator/backhoe will break sod and move the dirt but nothing beats a tiller for fine grinding and preparing a seed bed. Many folks who like gardening spend a lot more to grow veggies than they could buy them for. In fact I guess I've spent close to $50,000 on machinery to grow my few veggies. I do use the machinery for other purposes but if I wasn't a gardening nut it would never have started.

Attachments

• IMGP2656.jpg
    IMGP2656.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 92
   / Backhoe as Tiller #48  
CTF,
- Don87 makes a good point, if you just want a few pumpkins.. I would do what he suggested.
- Another something to think about... rent one. I need to till an area about 100'x70', it is a one time deal, I found a place where I can rent a 3pt tiller for $75/day or $300 for a week. Next spring I am going to rent it for a week, go to town and be done with it.. no need to spend $2K+.

/ Backhoe as Tiller #49  
Do you have access to a box blade. Tilt it up and drop the rippers. it does a pretty good job if you take your time.