learnin' to use the backhoe

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #11  
Concentration always, practice makes it easier, techniques increase efficiency.
One thing though is your hoe will never be long enough!

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #12  
I recently picked up a TC-29 with a Woods backhoe, this is my first CUT so I needed to learn how to use it. I've watched many exprienced operators use backhoes and boy do they make it look easy. After a few hours now I think I'm getting the hang of it, but it takes a lot of eye-hand coordination which takes some practice, (at least for me). My goal is to be able operate the backhoe as efficiently and as smoothly as possible without putting any excess stress on it or the tractor. I was wondering if anyone else went through this with their backhoe and had any advice.

"They" say one of the best ways to learn how to operate a BH is to watch an experienced operator. I agree. If you don't have an 'experienced operator' arond to watch :D then you might want to check out some youtube videos showing some very experienced operators doing some very interesting things with BH's. It won't replace your own experience and practice but I think it can help.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #13  
One thing that reduces the strain on your hoe is to concentrate on making the bucket slice through the ground i.e. pay attention to the angle of attack of the bucket and teeth. Lots of new operators try to dig with the bucket improperly angled are forcing the bottom against the trench as the dipper swings inward. Learn to counteract for the dippers arc by adjusting the bucket to maintain a flat bottom trench with the least strain on the tractor.

Nothing like seat time to improve your skills.:)

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #14  
Nothing new to add - will echo patience and practice...

IMHO, the BH is my favorite implement - the most fun to use. Unfortunately, it is the one for which I have the least requirements. I am always looking for an opportunity to put it to use - volunteer it all the time just to get the practice. Also have added new projects to my list that I would not have otherwise - so watch out for that! :D

Take your time and enjoy!

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #15  
With enough hours of backhoe operation under you belt the need for hand eye coordination seems to go away. Eventually the boom, dipper, and bucket are just like an extension of your arms. They basically do what your mind tells them to without you even having to think about which way to move the sticks.

Verticaltrx nailed it. After a while you will stop thinking about the controls as a separate function. You will get into a Zen-like state where the controls are one with you.

It is like typing (obviously something you can do). We don't think about every letter typed. The word comes and the fingers respond without conscious thought.

But it takes time and experience to get to that point. Just relax and let it happen. It will come.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #16  
Think left lever equals upper body, and upper arm, and the right lever equals forearm, and wrist. Bringing the two together just takes practice.

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #17  
One thing that reduces the strain on your hoe is to concentrate on making the bucket slice through the ground i.e. pay attention to the angle of attack of the bucket and teeth. Lots of new operators try to dig with the bucket improperly angled are forcing the bottom against the trench as the dipper swings inward. Learn to counteract for the dippers arc by adjusting the bucket to maintain a flat bottom trench with the least strain on the tractor.

Nothing like seat time to improve your skills.:)

The teeth do alot of the work, you have to keep them parallel to the intended bottom of the trench. I used to watch my dad and the way he moved the levers back N forth was an art form. When you move another lever toward you w/ one already back both functions stop that seemed to be as important as picking which lever he wanted to use. By pulling the next motion b/4 releasing the one he was using he could make the bucket, boom & dipper dance to his will...took years to gather those skills.

You won't learn it overnight. Get started!

I remember watching a Union operator. The boss & engineer told him where the sewer & water mains were and how deep each were located. He located each pipe by feel knowing just when to stop and have a laborer uncover them w/ a shovel...That was a 225 CAT excavator w/ teeth as wide as your hand and a bucket 22" wide...the guy was amazing...

/ learnin' to use the backhoe #18  
just in case no one said it time and practice :D