Winter Gloves/Mittens?

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #1  

Royboy

While clearing snow last winter .... day after day.... I sat freezing on the seat of my Kubota and I promised myself three things.
First, that my Kubota deserved and would get a full and proper servicing after working so hard on those snow storms (Done).
Second- That I would buy rear snow chains (in case it ever snows like that again!) (Done)
Third.... I would find some warm gloves or mittens suitable for this kind of work that would actually keep my hands and fingers warm! This I have not done! My circulation is horrible and my fingers become amazingly painful when cold. But... what to buy?

Can you folks make any recommendations about gloves or mittens (mittens tend to work better for me because my fingers don't seem capable of generating their own warmth when alone in a glove finger each by themselves). I would prefer gloves, it I could find some very warm ones but am willing to use mittens when mainly steering and shifting.
What is a good solution to this problem that won't break the bank?
Thanks!
Roy

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #2  
Mittens are warmer than gloves. When it is really cold I use the disposable hand warmers that heat when you break open the cellophane package. They throw off a lot of heat.

Last edited:
   / Winter Gloves/Mittens? #3  
Hi Roy, when it gets really cold I like to wear either wool or polypro glove liners under my mittens, that way you still have some protection it you have to take the mittens off to do something and the liners help keep things warmer under the mitten. If you put an extra pair or 2 of the liners in your pocket you can swap the other ones out when they become wet. My wife has circulation problems and she does the same thing except she puts the chemical heat packs between the liner and mitten as well as inside her coat and snow pants and is able to stay real warm.
Good Luck
Rick

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #4  
Roy, I am an avid duck hunter and strongly suggest getting some gore-tex / thinsulate waterfowl gloves. They will keep you dry and warm for probably around 30 bucks.

I have several pair and when I am out moving snow on a real cold day my hands stay toasty warm. Mittens are nice but gloves let you have the dexterity to still grab stuff like you normally do.

Just try and get some that have 200 gram thinsulate. Mail order is easy, but if you have a bass pro, cabelas, or even gander mountain near by try them out. Heck, even walmart has decent waterproof insulated duck hunting gloves.

I thought I lost my favorite pair a few years ago. I left them on the back bumper of my truck. We went back to the same spot 2 days later and I was able to find them. ha ha

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #5  
Consider electrical heated snowmobile gloves or similar.:thumbsup:

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #6  
When I used to use a snow thrower I would wear just basic hunting mittens with a slit for shooting so I could use my fingers if need be. The trigger slit would allow you to place disposable hand warmers in the mitten easily. Maybe $20 for the mittens and the hand warmers are cheap.

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #7  
Hi,
I need new mittens this year also. I saw some great ones down at my dealer, they do snowmobiles also, and the gloves are for snowmobiling. They should keep you warm.

Rob

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #8  
Fingers are my weak link also. If I'm sawing or doing other work they are not a problem. But running the tractor at 0 degrees makes my fingers cold. So to stay warm on the tractor I wear a pair of roomy polypro gloves and then these old army mitts which have a heavy wool mitten liner. They go halfway up my forearm and tighten with a strap. They are unbelievabley warm. There is no wrist gap and it really helps. Steering and running the loader is no problem with these mitts which are also waterproof and wind proof.

Attachments

• Mittens.JPG
    Mittens.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 292
   / Winter Gloves/Mittens? #9  
Also had good luck w/Artic Cat heavy snow mobile gloves.

/ Winter Gloves/Mittens? #10  
I have used snow mobile gloves for years and they work great.