Trailering question

/ Trailering question #1  

Anonymous Poster

Have a L3410 and have been trailering it with a set of 4 6500 lb. chains. I loop them over the axles and bind them to stake pockets at the corners. This week, I had 8 D-rings welded on to make this a little easier. NYS only requires 2 chains, but I bought and use 4. Question - I am scratching the heck out of my axles with these chains. I could have bought nylon ratcheting straps, but have always felt better with chains.....they don't abrade and break. The only thing I have been able to find to loop over the axles is nylon straps for winching from a tree. I need 3" loops on the ends to pass the chain through. I don't want to weld D-Rings to my tractor, but I think these are my only two options. Any thoughts??

/ Trailering question #2  
I know you're a little nervous about the nylon, but a set of axle straps are the preferred method of fastening a car down when you don't want to bugger up the frame. The 10,000 lbs straps with the 3,333 lbs working load are MORE than enough to handle a tractor. Here are some I found on line.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/axlestraps.html>http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/axlestraps.html</A>

Jeff

/ Trailering question #3  
I'll second Jeff396 - I use axle straps as well on all 4 corners. Work great - no damage and easy to put on/get off. You can always secure an additional "Safety chain" if you desire to the back of the tractor in addition to the straps if it makes you feel better.

/ Trailering question #4  
I use a giant clevis on the tow bar of my 33D NH with a 3/8" chain going through it to each corner at the rear of the trailer. I run a chain through the front weight bracket to each corner in the front. I use ratcheting binders to tighten the chain; nothing major gets scratched up.

/ Trailering question #5  
Dazed
I deliver a lot of new tractors and to eliminate chain marks, I use straps. I'll second 2thdoc about using the front weight bracket and a clevis on the drawbar. By running a chain thru the front end loader tube bracing, you can keep from leaving chain marks on the axles. Use 3/8" chain and the correct boomers or rachet straps, 1 pulling forwarad, 1 pulling to the rear and you are secure.
Lewis

/ Trailering question #6  
Dazed,

If you're totally and inalterably opposed to using nylon axle straps there is still a solution for you. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.awdirect.com>AW Direct Towing & Recovery</A> offers sleeves to fit over chains to reduce paint damage like that you describe. You can also use something like commercial hose material to accomplish the same thing.

Again, like so many others here, I'm a big fan of the nylon axle straps. You can buy fairly long ones with wear protection sleeve for under $10 each through <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mrproducts.com>M & R Products</A>. If you just want to try some without waiting to order them you might try your local Tractor Supply. I've gotten some there without the wear protection sleeves to use with my Goldwing and they work just fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailering question
Try contacting your local fire dept. Just about every fire dept. in the country has old fire hose laying around that has failed pressure testing. Feed your chains thru it and clamp them down.

/ Trailering question
Thank you all - Jeff396, those axle straps don't have a large enough loop at the end of the strap to get the 3" hook through. I found them seaching the web yesterday. The only thing I could find was in NH - a winching strap to protect trees - handles 8K lbs. breaking strength, 2"x6'.
I know your not supposed to use the hook for any "load", just to secure chain slack. All binding needs to be done from chin link to chain link. Some of the other ideas are very good though. I good friend is the chief at the local FD - I'm sure I could get some hose. I also like the idea of running it through the tubular support in the loader arms. Thanks all for your assistance. One last thing though, I have moved a lot of heavy equip, and most have D-Rings or some other structure welded to the frame to secure when transporting. Has anyone done this with a small tractor, or are we getting carried away because it's less than 6K lbs.?

/ Trailering question #9  
Dazed,
I welded on 6 or 8 D-rings for lots of attachment points.