Starter problem - grinding

/ Starter problem - grinding #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I spent my Saturday working on a hydraulics project on my L4200 - all was working Saturday afternoon and I started the tractor several times while testing the hydraulics - but Sunday morning when I went to start my tractor - GRRRRIIIINNNDDD! It's the same sound as when you turn your key when the motor is running, except for the motor running part. I saw the fan move a bit while it was grinding, so the motor isn't locked up. I removed the starter and cleaned it up - everything inside looked OK, solenoid looked alright, and the flywheel looks OK too. Starter spins up and runs with the engagement gear out on the bench. Put it back together and same grinding symptoms. I can't imagine that anything I was doing with the hydraulics created this problem - it was working fine the night before and nothing changed?! Perhaps a horrible coincidence? I never had any grinding noises while starting before. Can a bad starter create this grinding? How to proceed?

5158289852_4e759961e1.jpg

5157680329_960124c3cf.jpg

Thanks - JayC

/ Starter problem - grinding #2  
Bushings or bearings in the starter are shot would be my first guess. It might spin with no load but once you engage it with the flywheel it doesn't engage cleanly. Look for bits of brass or metal inside the ends.

/ Starter problem - grinding
Bushings or bearings in the starter are shot would be my first guess. It might spin with no load but once you engage it with the flywheel it doesn't engage cleanly. Look for bits of brass or metal inside the ends.

I took the entire starter/solenoid apart and everything looks fine - no sign of damage, no sign of wear - even the brushes look brand new. The solenoid contacts showed a little wear/pitting, but surely not too bad. I'm guessing a weak solenoid, assuming that could case this symptom.

You know - if the starter assy cost the same $150-$200 that every other starter in the whole world did, I'd just get a new one and see if it worked. However, a replacement starter for my L4200 costs $500! Yup, you heard me right - 500 f'n dollars. That's approaching the value of the whole tractor, ferchrissakes.

JayC

/ Starter problem - grinding #4  
Geez you sure that isn't a Mercedes starter for $500. Another idea would be to clean and brighten all battery connections from the post to grounds on the tractor chassis. It wouldn't take much slop in a bushing to cause it to grind though...It sounds like you know what the heck that you are doing.

Update:

Just got back from a starter/alternator repair place in town. One of the guys there gave the drive gear a twist and told me that the clutch is shot and that is my problem. They offered a rebuild of my starter for $119, a rebuilt one for $169, and had a new starter on the shelf for $199, so I bought the new one ($207 w/ tax) and gave them my old one. The geometry of the drive gear on the new starter is a little different though, and the drive gear post sticks out a 1/4" farther than the old one. There were 5 model revisions on record, and they all revert to the current one (which I got, evidently) - they said they change these things out all the time without problems, but they're going to hang on to my old one just in case I find a clearance issue. Hopefully, it'll be bolt-on and go.

(keeping my fingers crossed) JayC

/ Starter problem - grinding #7  
Jay4200 did that fix your problem?

Jay4200 did that fix your problem?

I don't know. I hope so. I just got the part today at lunch - my tractor is at my camp, so I won't get to find out until the weekend, unless I just can't stand it anymore, and drive up after work sometime this week - might happen.

JayC

/ Starter problem - grinding #9  
lol well i hope that fixes it for you. I know how it is to have a tractor down and wanting to use it.

/ Starter problem - grinding #10  
I had a similiar starter purchase experience for by L2900. Needed a new one and the local dealer cost was $625. I got a new one from Rare Electrical off on Ebay for $89. Heck, I even had it overnighted for $60 more and still came out way ahead. Welcome to Rare Electrical