7# Isn't Enough

/ 7# Isn't Enough #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
7# Isn\'t Enough

Just took a break for lunch and a cup of coffee. I was using the rotary mower this AM, and thought I broke the Kubota. The terrain was a bit rough, and the front of the mower dug into the dirt a few times. At one point, the tractor refused to move much at all. I was in 2WD, and it felt like a rear tire was spinning, but it wasn't. I looked things over and noticed something wet on the inside of the left tire. Figured "oops, hit something with a hydraulic line". Upon closer inspection, the liquid was coming FROM the tire. The tire was noticeably low, so I put it in 4WD, limped back to the house, and pumped the rears up to 15# to finish. All was OK, and I lowered the pressure to 10# when done with the rotary mower. It just rides so much better, I'll jack up the pressure when I bushhog again or dig hard.

I had been running 7# for several months without incident, but when the mower grabbed Mother Earth, the strain was enough to spin the rim inside the tire.

OK, enough - gotta get back out there......................chim

/ 7# Isn't Enough #2  
Re: 7# Isn\'t Enough

I always heard eight is enough? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 7# Isn't Enough #3  

BIG DAVE : with that last post u are showing your age!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 7# Isn't Enough #4  

You weren't screwed Chim.

What I mean is when I used to race hot stock I'd drop the pressure way down for the heats. Most guys would think they're tires were running low pressure when they hit the mid teens. I'd run eight to ten, sometimes six, especially in the left rear.

We weren't allowed bead lockers. So I ran tek screws. Hard on tires, messed up the rim for any other use, but man it did help. Come out of one or three and just pull away while everyone else was a spinning like in a cartoon.

You could do a screw or two just keep the tire from spinning in the wheel. That's if the low pressure is important to you.

/ 7# Isn't Enough #5  

Good call Wharv. I did the same to my Mustang when I was drag racing it. Five small screws through the bead would stop the slicks from spinning on the rims, and ripping the tubes. Also in my case, you dont screw through the tire. The screws were just long enough to poke into the bead a bit.

/ 7# Isn't Enough

For a while there, I thought I was. Oh, yup, I remember reading about screws back in the good ol days. That also reminds me of an article about ice racing and "bolted" tires. They ran tires with bolts through the tread to act as giant tire studs.........................chim

/ 7# Isn't Enough #7  

Any edge that can help, right Paul?

Chim, the screws we used were self tapping. The reason is the bead won't keep a screw. You'd lose it out of the tire real quick. So the screw is attached to the wheel. But it sticks into the bead.

And yes, you will need a tube from then on, price of glory./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Many was the time fellow racers would come up and want to know how my motor could be so strong out of the hole................I didn't tell them all about the screws./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 7# Isn't Enough #8  

threads kinda took me back to my drag racing days(B gas 48 Ford coupe).borrowed a set of m&h wrinkle walls from a friend.screwed tires and rims...any how...3rd gear and all hell broke loose.thought i had lost my whole rear end.went through the traps 112 mph @ 12:45 sec and BOTH slicks flat...sheared ALL of the screws...boy talk about pucker power..lol ....Sid