Electric Tractors

/ Electric Tractors #21  
My father was one of the design engineers for the GE Elec Trak; so I got a lot of experience with operating all the models.

The E15 and E20 models were rugged, took all kinds of abuse, and still worked like champs. 4 to 6 hours mowing with new batteries, About 3 to 4 after a few years. Worked well in the winter blowing snow off our 500 foot drive way in Schenectady. Used the E20 with a front blade to plow out a farm pond - not heavy duty enough to rip up the shale bedrock - afterall, it was a garden tractor, not a farm tractor. Cold never seemed to bother it much as long as the batteries were topped up, charged, and had proper electrolyte mix.

The best part about the E20/E15 was the front mount mowers. Deck had 3 electric motors on it. You could get under shrubs and buildings with it, and it wouldcut through up to half inch brush without much trouble. Deck tilted back so you could easily clean it.

The smaller models were lawn tractors/riding mowers.

While they were about 20% more expensive than gasoline tractors of similar size, their operating life expectancies were far greater.

Oh, and due to the motor torque, transmissions, and weight of the tractors, they could out pull every single gas tractor in their class.

The biggest operating fault I know of is that when the charge was gone, you'd better be back at the shed because they were a cast iron ***** to push.

Biggest design fault? Batteries set in the body and under the seat in about 1/8th inch folded steel boxes. Any battery spillage was going to eat through the body. My grandmother destroyed her tractor that way. I'd have built them with a plastic sleeve for the battery wells that woudl allow spillage, but prevent them from contacting the metal body.

/ Electric Tractors #22  
My father was one of the design engineers for the GE Elec Trak; so I got a lot of experience with operating all the models.

The E15 and E20 models were rugged, took all kinds of abuse, and still worked like champs. 4 to 6 hours mowing with new batteries, About 3 to 4 after a few years. Worked well in the winter blowing snow off our 500 foot drive way in Schenectady. Used the E20 with a front blade to plow out a farm pond - not heavy duty enough to rip up the shale bedrock - afterall, it was a garden tractor, not a farm tractor. Cold never seemed to bother it much as long as the batteries were topped up, charged, and had proper electrolyte mix.

The best part about the E20/E15 was the front mount mowers. Deck had 3 electric motors on it. You could get under shrubs and buildings with it, and it wouldcut through up to half inch brush without much trouble. Deck tilted back so you could easily clean it.

The smaller models were lawn tractors/riding mowers.

While they were about 20% more expensive than gasoline tractors of similar size, their operating life expectancies were far greater.

Oh, and due to the motor torque, transmissions, and weight of the tractors, they could out pull every single gas tractor in their class.

The biggest operating fault I know of is that when the charge was gone, you'd better be back at the shed because they were a cast iron ***** to push.

Biggest design fault? Batteries set in the body and under the seat in about 1/8th inch folded steel boxes. Any battery spillage was going to eat through the body. My grandmother destroyed her tractor that way. I'd have built them with a plastic sleeve for the battery wells that woudl allow spillage, but prevent them from contacting the metal body.

My neighbor has one of the GE ones. The best part is no deck belt to replace :laughing: