Electric Tractors

/ Electric Tractors #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
With the onset of electric cars, when do you think electric tractors will be in barns and shops everywhere?

/ Electric Tractors #3  
There is alot of info about small electric vehicles. I also found the site about GE tractors. I have a frame and a 24 VDC motor from a floor sweeper but the assembly is way down on the wish list.
Craig Clayton

/ Electric Tractors #4  
For full sized ag tractors i think it will be awhile. It is going to take a ton of batteries to be able to go out and work ground from sun up until sun down.

I think the closest they may come in the near future would be diesel/electric. Like a train. Big electric traction motors, and a diesel generator providing power. And that doesn't even provide much advantage over just straight diesel.

/ Electric Tractors #6  
Diesel electric could be soon.
CAT has this set up in a D7E. A contractor I work around demo'd one. The operator felt it had more "push" than the traditional 7, but it weighs about 10%more. Used about 1/3 of the fuel, the main benefit.
Downfall, upfront cost and seemed to have several bugs that still needed to be worked out.

/ Electric Tractors #7  
Years..years ago Wheel Horse offer electric garden tractor,it was heavy costly and short life span..hope tomorrows electric tractor works better when temp well below 32F.

/ Electric Tractors #8  
Ransomes (which purchased Cushman and was later bought by Jacobsen) had an electric greens mower for golf courses over 10 years ago. It was a ride-on tri-plex reel mower. It was very analog and easy to repair. It was 48 volts and would mow 18 greens or more between charges. The golf courses liked them because they could start mowing earlier because it was nearly silent, fewer complaints from nearby homeowners.

I think we will see hybrid type powertrains before we see full electric in Ag or Construction type equipment. I could be wrong, considering the advances that Tesla has made in battery technology.

Brian

/ Electric Tractors #9  
Large mining equipment has been diesel electric for decades. All of the large mining haul trucks have diesel electric power (diesel generator, electric drive motors at each wheel) with the exception of Caterpillar which still uses a planetary gearbox and a torque converter.

/ Electric Tractors #10  
Large mining equipment has been diesel electric for decades. All of the large mining haul trucks have diesel electric power (diesel generator, electric drive motors at each wheel) with the exception of Caterpillar which still uses a planetary gearbox and a torque converter.

likewise with rail locomotives...a lot of folks don't realze that "diesel" train engines (locomotives) are really just big generators that power electric motors that drive the wheels...