BIODEISEL

/ BIODEISEL #1  

estamas142

I have a JD 4410 and am considering using BIODEISEL fuel. Everything that I read states that it can be used without any engine modifications and is actually better for the engine (better lubrication etc). Enviromentally, it drastically reduces emmissions and smoke and pollutants...the exhaust actually smalls like frech fries! It can be used as a blend or at 100%.

Has anyone tried it? I live in western Mass and there is a dealer in Ashfield that sells it and a few locals have started to use it, but I do not want to void any warrenties or cause problems.

For more information just search internet under Biodeisel...lots of information.

/ BIODEISEL #2  
All that you have heard is true. We have a plant here at the co-op now and many farmers are using it. I haven't yet as you need to buy 1000 gallons at a time to get the discount. I know many farmers who are using it and haven't had a problem.

/ BIODEISEL #3  
When they first started experimenting back in the 70's from the "energy crisis"... it was "advertised" with a lot of promise...

Then, I understand with the "corn" produced fuel, something chemically changed after a period of use and became corrosive... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I believe for a period of time... at one point some of the mfrs. modified warranties based on use because of some of the problems that crept up...

I think the jury is still out and the experimenting still continues...

/ BIODEISEL #4  
<font color=blue>Then, I understand with the "corn" produced fuel, something chemically changed after a period of use and became corrosive... </font color=blue>

I heard this same statement yesterday on AgriTalk Radio and the guest very strongly dismissed it as untrue. He said that this statement has been circulated for years without proof by lobbyists for the cattle and hog industry. Why? Because crop based fuels until recently have received the largest financial support from the Ag Dept. Since Bush has taken office the Ag Dept has done an about face and recently attempted to cut funding for crop based BioDiesel in favor of fuel blended from animal fat.

Which statement is true? I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between. Ethenol's potential continues to suffer from oil industry propaganda decades after it was first introduced.

/ BIODEISEL #5  
There was a blip about biodeisel in the Sunday paper a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they are having quite a problem with it in Britain. The fuel tax is so high there that people have been running down to the store and buying 20-30 gallons of vegetable oil and making their own fuel. The government is planning a crack down and the police are looking for unusually large purchases of oil. (And probably sniffing tail pipes to see it they smell like french fries /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif).

Looks like them revenours will be smashin up the stills. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

SHF

/ BIODEISEL #6  
I've considered it. If there was a local source, I'd be buying. The closest I've found was in Chelsea, MA. They will ship it to you in quantities as small as 5 gallons. But it is expensive. www.biodiesel.org

/ BIODEISEL #7  
Here's a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=oil&Number=163533&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post163533>link</A> where I detail my experience using BioDiesel. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ BIODEISEL #8  
Another good biodeisel site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.veggievan.org>http://www.veggievan.org</A>

These guys are targeted more at people who want to make their own, but they do also have some good basic info and links to other sites.

One thing to watch for in Bio-D: Some of the "homebrewers" (and perhaps some of the larger sources?) have had problems with bio-D in colder weather. It seems that without some extra processing, too much parrafin gets left in the fuel which can clog things up in the winter. Conventional anti-gel additives do not always work (or may not work as well with Bio-D). If others are running fuel from the same supplier in your area without problems, then you should be fine on this score.

A final word of warning: Bio-Deisel will do a great job of cleaning out the gunk that builds up in an engine or fuel tank oven an extended period of time running regular petro-deisel. This gunk is great at clogging fuel filters. Many folks add a cheap in-line filter ahead of their regular filter for the first few tanks full of Bio-D. They can then just replace the cheapy, and leave their regular filter in place. It's not an issue if you don't have a lot of hours/years of running petro-diesel through your engine. It's also not an issue if you tend to switch back and forth... the occasional tank of bio-D keeps the gunk from building up.

John Mc

/ BIODEISEL #9  
I have been using biodiesel now for about a year in my Kubota garden tractor and now in my BX2200. I have noticed that the engine runs smoother with the blend of bio and diesel then when straight fuel either way. In reading more about it, the only restriction I have found is that they suggest not using biodiesel with any natural rubber fuel lines or gaskets. The biodiesel would soften these parts. The makers suggest using only synthetic or plastic fuel lines etc, which I think most modern tractors have anyway. Also, I read that Caterpiller Tractor Corporation has given the green light to use of biodiesel in all of their diesel engines.

There is a report going around that the Feds are thinking about cutting the funding for support of manufacturing of biodiesel, or something like that.
Now that makes a lot of sense to me; cut the funding that supports a fuel that farmers can grow and use anywhere in the country, but instead promote drilling for more oil somewhere.
What kind of idiots have we elected to office?

/ BIODEISEL #10  
The problem is they are not getting their .25 per gallon in taxes.