Spreading gravel

/ Spreading gravel #51  
I like crusher run for driveways/lanes because of the fines, which once packed act as a sort of glue to hold everything together even on a mild slope in a hard rain. After it's well packed and driven on a while, it's friendly to foot traffic, too. I got some larger stuff once, 2"-3", and although it worked ok my wife hated it because she just about couldn't walk on it in sneakers without rolling an ankle, and couldn't walk on it at all with any type of heels on. Didn't do that again..

I might use the larger 2"-3" rock to fill in the base on a raised section of driveway but agree with you it isn't as good as the 3/4" to fines basecourse for the middle layer. I use a combination of clean 3/4" crushed rock and coarse sand on the top surface to reduce dust.

/ Spreading gravel #52  
Personally, I prefer nothing bigger than 3/4", bigger stuff will work up to the surface! I use 3/4" "run" for a base, once solid, I like 3/8" "chips" for the surface layer of my drive. This makes a much better walking surface. ~~ grnspot110

/ Spreading gravel #53  
We get 3/4" class "A", which is stone up to 3/4 inch diameter mixed in with fines. Compacts well and is decent for walking. I'm not a fan of clear stone except for drains.

Sean