Tires Fluid Filled Tires Pump or Gravity

/ Fluid Filled Tires Pump or Gravity #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
OK caught the blue light special at K-Mart for windshield washer fluid and will fill the tires this weekend. Since I have never done this before, I need a little help. I got the adapter to connect the tire to the garden hose. I have to add 8-10 gallons per tire. Should I by a pump for my drill and use that or save $$ and just use a funnel and gravity? How long do you figure it will take to put 10 gallons in a tire via gravity???

Thanks

Tom

/ Fluid Filled Tires Pump or Gravity #2  
Hi,

I had good luck with a drill pump. Did my garden tractor tires first...then the my 12.4x16 tires on the back of my Kubota B2910. The pump is MUCH faster than gravity.

There is a thread Here</font color=blue> that may answer a lot of questions...

Hope this works!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Fluid Filled Tires Pump or Gravity #3  
Go with the pump. One problem with gravity is overcoming the pressure created in the tire by the fluid displacing the air. I saw a funnel setup here somewhere, so mebbe that guy figured it out. To overcome a pressure buildup of 3#, you'd need a hose extending nearly 7' above the valve stem, and then it would trickle in.

As you proceed, the tire needs to "burp" air periodically. I used a drill pump along with a fitting I bought at TSC. The fitting has a pushbutton to vent the built-up air. The nice thing about the drill pump is it would build a few pounds pressure, and not having a check valve, would allow the air in the tire to push the liquid back in the hose when I stopped the pump. This allowed me to push the relief button and only get a few drops of liquid spitting out.

The fitting is made to adapt to different valve stems. My tractor has stems made for liquid fill. The piece that contains the schraeder valve screws off, exposing a larger orfice to fill through. It was just a matter of taking all the weight off the tire, and removing the one piece of the stem...................chim

/ Fluid Filled Tires Pump or Gravity #5  
I had a sump pump, which I set in a 5 gal bucket. Worhed fine. I used the "burper" hose adapter, too. I tried gravity before thatl it wasn't worth the trouble....