Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: I failed in my mission!

<font color=blue>would a veteran tractor owner just jump on his tractor and begin cutting the slope shown in Picture #3 without giving it a second thought?<font color=black>

YES! That slope (left side) in pic #3 is NOT too steep for a CUT to get on at a reasonable speed (slow and controlled), watching out for any potholes on the low side, or debris such as stumps or rocks on the high side.

Look where the center of gravity is and the bulk of the weight between the left and right wheels of your tractor(s). It would take a lot to tip your tractor over on the slopes (even the slope on the right in #3 would likely only present a sliding problem. Sliding is not good as it is out of the control of the operator. Same as sliding on ice. It is the sudden or abrupt stop that causes a tip. IMO.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Photo 3, left side is fine. I would not hesitate at all. Right side would require me to move the tires out to the farthest position. If I was on the highway tractors that are properly set up with a lot of weight down low I wouldn't hesitate at all. Just take me a few minutes to set my own tractor up first. With experience you learn that these tractors don't tip too easy unless you get careless or stupid. Accidents do happen but if you know what you are doing and practice safe techniques you will be fine on these slopes.

Picture 3 seems to show the slopes the best...

What angle do you guys think they are?

Sure look steeper than the 15 to 20 degree angles that we talk about as being the safe maximum slope angles...at least for those who are conservative...

I don't think the right-hand slope was cut with a rotary mower...looks to me like it was done with one of those boom mowers. The reason I say that is because as I watched the roadside, I saw little posts at the shoulder's edge, and the cut seemed to go right past them...seemed like a state run tractor would not run with just a single rotary on the back...

Bill

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

regarding photo #1 i was caught up in the part of the pic that showed the truck on the highway. seemed to be a tanker but from the photo it could look like a boeing 737 being towed backward. does anybody else see that?[img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img]

Frank,

I'm sure it was a tanker...but I do see the 737 now!

Bill

DDT
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740/cab with air ride seat

Pic #3 It look like a 20 degree slope to me, But I have been wrong before, I guess thats why I use tilt meters.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

<font color=red>be a tanker but from the photo it could look like a boeing 737 being towed backward. does anybody else see that? </font color=red>

Oh ya! You can make out the windshelds on the top. Cool!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N / Kubota B 6200. Kubota B 7100. Modified wards lawn tractor. Souped up.

Hi Bill,
    Hey Guy, thanks for the pics. Sorry you had trouble on the
    adventure. When I go to the National Farm Machinery show
    in Feb. I will try to get some shots of a few hills they mow in
    Ill. And Ky. Now that's some hills. Again, Thanks. Rick

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 790, JD 6420

A Hill in Ill.? ....

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Here are some pics of this guy drilling in seed on the road banks.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/MachineryTalk/posts/20845.html>http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/MachineryTalk/posts/20845.html</A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast