Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC35D4

Default Re: Pond Clearing

gerard, that sounds like a good plan, but what happens after a few years and several seasons of leaf debris accumilating over the rock. I've actually seen cattails growing in the middle of the pond with no soil, just floating.

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

true enough - but they also uproot VERY easily if the only thing the roots are in is some loose humus that's collected in between the rocks. I know that's how I've seen many commerical ponds finished. Just cost a little more up front.

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D

Commercial pond?

Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

By "commercial pond" I mean ones I've seen done in planned residential communities, golf courses, shopping centers, strip malls etc. One's where money is less of an object than in most private ponds and ones where they don't want the thing getting overgrown and unattractive in a short time.

Those grass carp do work fairly well for a few years but as said they have to be removed and restocked to keep up with the weeds. I can tell you from experience that getting them out of the pond is not that easy. You can catch them with a big rod IF you can get them to bite. THe cast net idea appealed to me too.... untill the carp tore a hole in the net.

I ended up shooting mine.

One other thing about those carp is that if you feed your fish floating food the carp will make a BIG meal of it. They like fish food better than plants!

And they are not slow lumbering beasties. THey can put on suprizing bursts of speed and do keep the pond muddy.

Just my $.02 on carp

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL3430 HST

I "edged" my pond with a dirt scoop this year.The drout had my pond down 5', so I was able to get around pretty well. I love to walk around my pond every night and do small maintenence like pulling cattails, tall grass and weeds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123