Battery maintenance

/ Battery maintenance #1  

canadakubota

1000 Is Pkwy, SouthEastern Ontario, Canada
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Hello TBN members'
I am wondering your opinions regarding battery blankets.
I am considering installing one on my Kubota B2620.
I have a 1999 Kodiak ATV with the original battery. The ATV has approx 4550 kms. I also use the battery to start a portable 6500 watt generator.
Each winter when not operating the ATV or generator, I bring the battery inside a heated shop, connect to a 1 amp charger for a day and store on a dry rubber mat.
Battery blanket?
Just a lucky ATV battery?
Thank you in advance for any input/suggestions.

/ Battery maintenance #2  
Well, my tractor battery is 11 - 12 years old. I just make sure the water level is right and, if it will be left unused for more than a month, I put a float charger on it to maintain the charge. Cold does not harm a battery, it discharges slower than in warm temperatures. The best advice is to make sure the battery is fully charged.

/ Battery maintenance #3  
Hello TBN members'
I am wondering your opinions regarding battery blankets.
I am considering installing one on my Kubota B2620.
I have a 1999 Kodiak ATV with the original battery. The ATV has approx 4550 kms. I also use the battery to start a portable 6500 watt generator.
Each winter when not operating the ATV or generator, I bring the battery inside a heated shop, connect to a 1 amp charger for a day and store on a dry rubber mat.
Battery blanket?
Just a lucky ATV battery?
Thank you in advance for any input/suggestions.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/189488-battey-tenders-do-they-discharge.html

/ Battery maintenance #4  
I tried various things on the battery for my generator. The thing that works is a battery tender. It's outside now with a cover over the generator and the battery tender connected to the battery.

It used to be basically outside, but with the breakfast room as a cover above it. I figured this was not safe; so, its now moved to behind the carriage house. Had to have a new generator feed line, etc. to relocate it. The tender was used for about 5 years in the old location.

Ralph

/ Battery maintenance #5  
Rather than start another thread, the title of this one works nicely, though maybe not along the same line as the original post.
I have a JLG T350 boom lift. Hydraulics powered by 4 6 volt batteries. I've removed them for the winter and brought them into my attached garage. I plan on keeping them up with a battery tender. Is there a need to loosen the battery caps?
All other batteries that I use the tender on (2 Harleys and a Mustang GT) are sealed so it isn't an issue. These are the first batteries with removable caps that I've had in many a year.

/ Battery maintenance #6  
No, for the current involved, the built-in vents are sufficient.

Very good. Thanks for the info. Only problem now is one tender and 7 batteries!
I guess I could just move it to a different battery every day of the week. :laughing:

/ Battery maintenance #7  
Very good. Thanks for the info. Only problem now is one tender and 7 batteries!
I guess I could just move it to a different battery every day of the week. :laughing:

I use 7 different singles throughout the garage. Or you can buy a 4-banger to share.

/ Battery maintenance #8  
I use 7 different singles throughout the garage. Or you can buy a 4-banger to share.

Definitely going to buy at least one more, possibly 2.

/ Battery maintenance #9  
I just rotate my battery tender amongst 3 bikes, 1 tractor, 1 plow truck. The bikes & tractor only get charged a few times a winter. The plow truck before every snow as it's a hard starting POS.
I got 7 years out of an OEM bike battery that way. Battery never left the bike. Bike is/was stored in unheated shed. It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain a battery IMHO.

/ Battery maintenance #10  
Too much of a pain running extension cords or pushing two bikes (up on rolling motorcycle jacks) to the power.
The boom lift batteries (4) will stay in one spot with a dedicated tender. I think I'll just remove the bike and car batteries and line them up on a work bench and alternate every couple of days with a second tender. Looks like the local NAPA will get back some store credit that they owe me today!

Last edited: