3PT hitch swivel balls

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #1  

kodiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
kioti DK45, FEL
Curious, do you all lubricate the swivel balls on the lift arms and the middle 3PT hitch arm? Seems they should be but how, with what? Thought about WD40 however grease would be a better choice but suggestions on how to get it in there?

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #2  
Kodiac

I use WD40 on the swivel balls on my 3pt hitch. The way I get it into the ball is to spray them and just keep moving them until they move fairly free.

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #3  
Power Tracs use these type of joints in most of their linkages. I have at least 18 of them on mine. One at the end of every hydraulic cylinder. They recommend spray grease every 8 hours of operation. It seems to work well. Just a little shot and wiggle the joint to work it in. Quick and painless.

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #4  
I don't recall what, if anything, the manufacturers recommend, but I figured grease would make a bigger mess so I just used WD-40 myself, even though I'm inclined to feel that a spray grease or silicone spray might have been a better option (always had WD-40 on hand and didn't always have the others).

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #5  
I like the aerosol chain lube or white lithium spray. Both seem to have properties that make it stick to the parts. It's handy stuff...................chim

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #6  
I use the same lithium grease that I use for all the lube points on the tractor. Every third or fourth lube, I grease the balls. without anything attached, you can roll them around to completely coat. I prefer this because wd-40 washes out when they get wet.

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #7  
In all my years I have never lubricated these things ... I don't know anyone that does or has ...

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #8  
Ditto on the spray lithium, or open sprocket grease.

I find that spray silicone and wd-40 don't hold up long enough ( though the grease collects dust )... so it is a constant chore either way.

Soundguy

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #9  
Hi,

EM14 comments:

<font color=blue>In all my years I have never lubricated these things ... I don't know anyone that does or has ... </font color=blue>

Which brings me to ask, what is gained by lubricating the balls, if they are loose enough to move in the sockets already?

Can we expect lube to extend their life? I mean in practical terms...I was almost ready to run out and lube mine...but if it collects dust couldn' t that result in an abrasive paste that might actually cause increased wear?

I just don't know! /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ 3PT hitch swivel balls #10  
In my opinion , yes grease will hold dirt and cause abraision . I use wd40 'cause it will flush out any dirt , helps prevent rust , adds a bit of lubrication , and for the most part will evaporate away so gritt doesn't accumulate . I don't actually know if it helps but it doesn't hurt . Grease i think is too messy and will attract dirt . Just my opinion.