Oil & Fuel maintenance questions

/ maintenance questions #1  

lduren

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case IH Farmall 55A
I just spoke with the dealer and ordered an oil filter, fuel filter, hydralic filter, but intended to order a shop manual. The parts rep said that it costs about $300 and that it was for breaking it down, and I did not buy it. The only think I would use it for is for doing routine maintenance. I have changed oil on cars before but never the fuel filter. Do I need a shop manual, or is there somewhere on the internet to find out how to do this? A google search did not find anything immediately.

Lee

/ maintenance questions #2  
I don't have a shop manual and do all of the routine maintenance on our Kubota BX2660, L5030 and M8540 by using the Owner's/Operator's Manual provided with the tractors.

If you post the make and model of your tractor, I am sure someone can give you more definitive information.

/ maintenance questions #3  
I always buy a shop manual to understand better what's behind the castings, what the wires do and how the hydraulics really work.

This gives me more confidence and understanding of the operation of the tractor. Also the shop manual answers a lot of my questions better then the operators manual.

Most of the time I can find the manual on Ebay for about 50% of the cost from a dealer.

I also get the parts manual (normally free online) whenever taking anything apart on tractor. This illustrates it better then the shop or operators manual.

/ maintenance questions #4  
I don't have a shop manual and do all of the routine maintenance on our Kubota BX2660, L5030 and M8540 by using the Owner's/Operator's Manual provided with the tractors.

If you post the make and model of your tractor, I am sure someone can give you more definitive information.

Agree with TripleR above. My Kioti's owner manual has pictures and explanations of routine maintenance like the fuel filter in it. If you need help then someone on a tractor forum can guide you through it. Not sure how new/old your tractor is but if you google the make and model you should be able to get some info as well. :)

/ maintenance questions #5  
I always buy a shop manual to understand better what's behind the castings, what the wires do and how the hydraulics really work.

There are many approaches to doing your own maintenance, but I also agree with this particular approach.
If you are one to do all your own maintenance,and repair,it really pays to know your equipment.

Greg

/ maintenance questions #6  
There are many approaches to doing your own maintenance, but I also agree with this particular approach.
If you are one to do all your own maintenance,and repair,it really pays to know your equipment.

Greg

Therein lies the difference, if repairs are needed then definitely get a manual. I have maintained a lot of tractors for a lot of years without a Shop Manual on any of them.

I really don't see how a Shop Manual is going to benefit the OP in his routine maintenance, but just an opinion.

/ maintenance questions
My tractor is a Case IH farmall 55a brand new. I could buy this manual: "Farmall 45A,Farmall 55A Tractor Complete", which is the one I almost bought today.

/ maintenance questions #8  
If you plan on keeping the tractor past the warranty period the I think a shop manual is useful for getting to know your tractor if you plan on doing any repairs yourself. If the dealer will be handling anything above routine maintenance and you are not comfortable doing repairs than the manual is probably a waste of money.

/ maintenance questions
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I could google how to change the fuel filter and hydraulic filter if the manual does not explain this well enough. they probably have videos on you tube showing how to do this. yeah, I only plan to do maintenance myself, not any repairs if they are serious. I like the tractor and am new to them. I moved 2 logs this past weekend thata beaver had cut down. Had a bushhog on the back that acted as a counterbalance.

/ maintenance questions #10  
I purchased a shop manual for my JD online for about $70. It came as a CD.

The shop manual told me that one of the rear wheels had to come off to remove the 3ph rod that runs in front of the hydraulic filter. The owner's manual didn't tell me that.

Don't remember what the shop manual says about the fuel filter, but getting to it with the FEL rig on the tractor isn't as easy as they say in the owner's manual. Easiest way for me was to remove a 12 mm bolt that holds the fuel filter assembly onto the frame, rotate the assembly up (flex fuel lines allow this) out of the way of the FEL arm and then remove the ring securing the fuel filter in place. This is on my JD.

Your profile doesn't tell us what tractor you have.

Ralph