Brush Hogging Rates ..

/ Brush Hogging Rates ..
I charge $75- per hour, 2 hour min.
Depending on conditions I can cut 2 to 2.5 acres per hour.
Hope that helps.

E/S

It does ... thats about $30-$37.50 an acre.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #12  
The first time i mow somthing i get 50 per hour that way it doesnt depent on how hard or easy the property is. its fair that way you never know what hidding in those feilds. then i charge by how long it has taken me. then i stick to this set amount for any retern mowings.i get plenty of work at this rate. The more i get to cut the same property the faster i get and the more acre per hours i can cut.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #13  
charge by the acre and look at the field before u make a price on the field and get paid up front so u dont get left owed a bunch of money and people not wonting to pay because if they can pay after the job is done they can pay before

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #14  
I used to do this for $60.00 and hour with a 5' brush hog. Most of the mowing I did was vacant lots for realtors. I could do an acre an hour. Most of these vacant lots were nasty mowing. People used these lots for dumps.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #15  
If you can get "farm" tags on both the truck and trailer there are often exclusions to keep you from the DOT hassle. Worth looking into - was for me.

Now if you can just figure out how custom hogging fits under farming you will have it made.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #16  
Boy, a guy asking about bushhogging rates an gets jumped on right away about tags and DOT etc. etc. etc.

I have no Idea where it came from but "Ford Tractor" mentions several times that "around here......" and yet I have no Idea WHERE he is talking about:confused::confused::confused:

All laws are different from state to state, and some even by municipality.

IF, he gets pulled over, CAN THEY PROVE that he was doing work commercially???? I trailer my tractor to and from my parents and relatives all the time cutting firewood, digging ditches, etc. All for family and NOT for profit. But I also do hogging on the side. No I dont have commercial tags on the trailer or a DOT number. I have been followed and passed buy pleanty of cops, and never been pulled over.

Unless they want to follow you all the way to the destination, and then watch you recieve payment for your services, they CANNOT prove anything.

Not to mention, maybe the OP was just thinking locally within a few miles and drive the tractor.

Anyway, on to the rates. I usually charge about $40 per acre. I am usually a good judge of how long it will take me. I tried to charge by the hour in the past and the first question out of everyones mouth is, "how long do you think it will take?" And around here, most people that are wanting to hire the work done, dont reall understand the difference between a 4' or 7' bush hog in terms of how fast they will get done. So A guy with a 4' adbertizing for $40 per hour is probabally going to get more business than a guy with a 7-8 footer charging about $70 per hour. Because they think they are getting more for their money out of the cheaper guy.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #17  
What does the term "Not for Hire" mean when you see it on the side of a truck? If you aren't soliciting business in the form of moving goods for someone else, wouldn't this keep oneself from drawing the attention of the DOT?

I ask this because I've always understood that DOT and its regs were for the person driving commercially for their living, hauling goods from point A to point B.

If you own the tractor, trailer, and truck and are just transporting it to brush hog at someone else's property, how are you falling under the DOT's jurisdiction? You aren't moving anything down the road for financial gain.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #18  
What does the term "Not for Hire" mean when you see it on the side of a truck? If you aren't soliciting business in the form of moving goods for someone else, wouldn't this keep oneself from drawing the attention of the DOT?

I ask this because I've always understood that DOT and its regs were for the person driving commercially for their living, hauling goods from point A to point B.

If you own the tractor, trailer, and truck and are just transporting it to brush hog at someone else's property, how are you falling under the DOT's jurisdiction? You aren't moving anything down the road for financial gain.

You are when hauling equipment to do custom work therefore fall under "commercial". You would be a private "not for hire" motor carrier.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #19  
"What does the term "Not for Hire" mean when you see it on the side of a truck?..."

I do see that on a few dumptrucks and service trucks but most commonly on wreckers and tow-trucks. My BIL has a tow-truck with this on it and I asked him about it once and he said it had something to do with the way the truck is licensed, tagged and taxed. Since he's using it for personal use and not for "commercial" purposes, it's something he has to post on the vehicle per state regs. If he's caught using it for commercial towing purposes while tagged and labeled as "not for hire" he is subject to all manner of fines and such.

Now for the punchline....."why does my BIL have a tow-truck that's not for hire?" His family owns a ginormous salvage yard just west of Ft. Worth and they use it move all types of stuff.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #20  
"What does the term "Not for Hire" mean when you see it on the side of a truck?..."

This is my understanding. Suppose I produce a product and use my own truck to deliver to my customers (wholesalers, retailers,etc.), that truck would be considered not for hire.

If I owned a truck and transported products for others for a fee, that truck would be considered for hire.

Steve