Brush Hogging Rates ..

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Just wanting to ask if any of you custom brush hog?

In this area it seems to be by the hour with a minmum rather than by the acre.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #2  
There is a guy in my area that advertises during the summers for $40/hour with an $80 minimum. I assume this rate is working for him because he seems to be sticking with it.

Back in the 90's when everyone was moving "out to the country" I used to make ends meet by offering bush hogging and other tractor work. The condition of the field you are mowing makes a big difference in the time it will take. Roughness, wetness, hidden obstacles, thickness of the growth all dictate how fast you can cut. The first time you cut a field, by-the-hour is the only way to charge. It is fair for both the property owner and the tractor owner. Quoting a first cut on an overgrown field would take a guess, and most people tend to underestimate how long things will really take. I usually end up doubleing my initial estimate.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #3  
There are pro's here that can give details from experience, but around here the highway patrol will have your butt in a sling if you are towing a "commercial" trailer without a USDOT # and following all the big rig regs. Flares, spares, logs, commercial insurance, DOT inspections, drug tests, etc.

Some states (like ours) dropped "commercial" to 10,001 pounds total truck, load and trailer, like the federal regs so they can reap the ticketing rewards. Typical first ticket is well north of $1000, frequently $2000.

If you can get "farm" tags on both the truck and trailer there are often exclusions to keep you from the DOT hassle. Worth looking into - was for me.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #4  
There are pro's here that can give details from experience, but around here the highway patrol will have your butt in a sling if you are towing a "commercial" trailer without a USDOT # and following all the big rig regs. Flares, spares, logs, commercial insurance, DOT inspections, drug tests, etc.

Some states (like ours) dropped "commercial" to 10,001 pounds total truck, load and trailer, like the federal regs so they can reap the ticketing rewards. Typical first ticket is well north of $1000, frequently $2000.

If you can get "farm" tags on both the truck and trailer there are often exclusions to keep you from the DOT hassle. Worth looking into - was for me.

No matter where you turn, they're out to pick your pocket. I'm ready to dump my commercial registrations and close up shop, they've already stopped most of the 'commerce'.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #5  

No matter where you turn, they're out to pick your pocket. I'm ready to dump my commercial registrations and close up shop, they've already stopped most of the 'commerce'.

I'm a bit confused. What is the thread between bush hogging rates and DOT #'s?

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #6  
Guessing it is aimed at someone contemplating doing it rather than someone having it done; need to consider cost and feasibility.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #7  
It's the kind of thing that gets me right off the track, when I hear about $2000 tickets for taking my stuff down the roads that we all pay for. Sorry.
We should have an online ticket calculator, just plug in your trailer weight, tractor model and impliments etc., and everybody could just stay home when they saw the number.

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #8  

Jake....I agree with you...No matter where you turn...It is just amazing..and it has to stop or we will all stop - Maybe, just maybe that is what it will take..:thumbsup:

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #9  
I charge $75- per hour, 2 hour min.
Depending on conditions I can cut 2 to 2.5 acres per hour.
Hope that helps.

E/S

/ Brush Hogging Rates .. #10  
Jake....I agree with you...No matter where you turn...It is just amazing..and it has to stop or we will all stop - Maybe, just maybe that is what it will take..:thumbsup:

Bob, Ford Tractor, I'll post something on the trailer page where we can gripe without hi-jacking this thread.