Log splitter, Warming up????

/ Log splitter, Warming up???? #11  
Mousefield,

Do you paint the bucket on your back hoe to keep it looking so nice?

Mine still has some paint left, but it only starts to look nice again with an extended period of digging, otherwise it sports a nice rust patina. :laughing:

Still the original paint. :) Have used it to dig up some stumps and dig a couple of trenches, one was at the neighbor's, about 300 ft, 2 ft deep and very gravely. I'm sure gravely is a proper word. :D

Attachments

• DitchFGarden 027.jpg
    DitchFGarden 027.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DitchFGarden 028.jpg
    DitchFGarden 028.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 55
   / Log splitter, Warming up???? #12  
That's why I like the Honda engine. I've not had to pull more than twice on that thing yet to get it started...:thumbsup:

Ever try it at 30 F BELOW zero? Post back and really brag after you do that ;)

/ Log splitter, Warming up???? #13  
I don't know about -30 but Honda engines start very easily. Big thing for me.

/ Log splitter, Warming up????
I bought a TSC/Speeco splitter this summer, 22 ton. It came with the Briggs motor on it. I could have ordered a Honda fitted splitter, but I think the price was around an extra $100+.

I don't usually try to make a habit of splitting wood in the dead of winter. So, I wasn't real concerned about cold weather starting. Well, I am trying to get a massive oak tree parceled up and split, just because I'm sick of looking at in my my barn yard. It had fallen onto a friend's business rental due to a tornado passing overhead.

Anyway, I'm sure Briggs isn't really much more than a shadow of its former self, but so far it has ticked along quite nicely and even starts without struggle when the temps are in the Teens and Twenties.

That little primer bulb has been a nice addition to the modern small power plant.

/ Log splitter, Warming up???? #15  
Ever try it at 30 F BELOW zero? Post back and really brag after you do that ;)

If it gets to 30 below here in Seattle H--L will have frozen over..And my hairy little Hiney is smarter than worrying about splitting wood then anyhow. :D

/ Log splitter, Warming up???? #16  
I purchased a splitter made by Swisher because it has a belt driven pump that you can disengage until the engine is started and warm. It makes tugging on the rope a lot easier when cold.

I would not recommend using my neighbors method. He puts a pan of carcoal under his to warm it up. True story. He can't start it under the load of the pump with cold fluid.

/ Log splitter, Warming up????
I purchased a splitter made by Swisher because it has a belt driven pump that you can disengage until the engine is started and warm. It makes tugging on the rope a lot easier when cold.

I would not recommend using my neighbors method. He puts a pan of charcoal under his to warm it up. True story. He can't start it under the load of the pump with cold fluid.

Okay, the disengaging pump thing is a nice touch. I can see that on a higher end splitter.

About your neighbor, I'd say he is running something way to heavy for hydraulic fluid if he's having to go to that kind of extent to just even start the thing.

Mine pulls somewhat what harder, no doubt, with the cold, but he's off the charts. :confused2: