New guy: Ford 3000 questions

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #1  

stagalv

Tractor
Ford 3000 Diesel
Hello - I'm new here and to tractors. I have a few questions about my new, 40 year old tractor. It's a Ford 3000 Diesel with the 8 speed transmission.
I have run the tractor for a few hours now with a rotary cutter and have become quite comfortable in it's basic operation. A while back I bought a reproduction owners manual and it shows this 8 speed version tractor available with two different PTO's. One of them had a two stage clutch where the half way down stopped the tractors motion and all the way down stopped the pto as well. The other one only had the pto turning while the tractor was moving.
Neither of these fit mine. On mine there is the clutch which only appears to have the all the way down position which stops the tractor only but the pto will continue to turn as long as I have it engaged.
Is this a common pto style or is something not working the way it should?
Also when I engage the pto I have the shifters in neutral and have the clutch fully engaged, idle speed and not moving it still grinds and then CHUNG, starts spinning the hog. Should I be doing something else?
I would appreciate your opinion on this.

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #2  
You have an 8 speed with a two stage clutch. And the second stage, which is supposed to control the PTO, is not working. There are several possibilities.
1. The PTO disc is stuck to one of the mating pressure plates and not disengaging.
2. The transmission disc is worn and is using up more than its share of the mechanical linkage travel within the pressure plate. Reducing pedal freeplay to the minimum spec (or a little less) may allow the PTO stage to work properly for a little while.
3. The PTO disc has de-laminated and piled up between the pressure plates. Plate travel will not allow the clutch to disengage.
4. part of the mechanical linkage within the dual pressure plate has broken.

#2 or #4 are most likely.

There are a couple other scenarios, but you get the drift. Don't let anyone tell you that you have a single stage clutch or transmission driven PTO: you absolutely do not.

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions
Can I keep using it like this? Big bucks to fix?

Thanks -

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #4  
Changing the clutch isnt too bad and anyone with basic tools can do it. I did mine. I had to split the tractor though. I replaced the main clutch and the PTO clutch. Had about 200 bucks into it. Now if you have a shop do it for you, then add another zero onto that figure.

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #5  
I thought 3000's had independent PTO's? It's a 3 cylinder right?

Wedge

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #6  
if it had an sos it would have an independent pto.

in the 4000+ sereies you say the ind pto and 8spd.. etc.

soundguy

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions
It's a 3cyl diesel.
Wow, so you think it would cost $2k to have it fixed in a shop?!
So what about my question above? Can I continue to operate it that way it is now? Is is that bad to grind a bit when I start the PTO? Should I start it with the PTO engaged?
This old tractor looks terrible but runs well now. I had basically an in frame rebuild done and a new injector pump a while back. It just suffers a bit in the ugly department.

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #8  
if it had an sos it would have an independent pto.

in the 4000+ sereies you say the ind pto and 8spd.. etc.

soundguy

So the 8 speed 3000 had dual clutch?

Wedge

/ New guy: Ford 3000 questions #9  
   / New guy: Ford 3000 questions #10  
It's a 3cyl diesel.
Wow, so you think it would cost $2k to have it fixed in a shop?!
So what about my question above? Can I continue to operate it that way it is now? Is is that bad to grind a bit when I start the PTO? Should I start it with the PTO engaged?
This old tractor looks terrible but runs well now. I had basically an in frame rebuild done and a new injector pump a while back. It just suffers a bit in the ugly department.

I woud spend the money ($200) and fix it. If your only option is a shop then maybe trade it in on something else? 2k is a big investment for such a minor problem. I wouldn't continue to use it by grinding it.