Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Default Is 2-wheeling irresponsible?

I was just reading the 'stupid things' thread, and was thinking back to this summer, when I pulled a big chunk of concrete (POs barn "steps" made w/o forms or any skill whatsoever) with my backhoe. I pinched the concrete between the hoe boom and dipper, then proceeded to drive around back to dump it. Well, as soon as I hit the gas, the front of the tractor came right up and stayed there. I stopped and threw a couple of rocks into the bucket, but that didn't do anything. I had the concrete picked and pinched so perfect, I didn't want to put it down, so I figured to heck with it, and just drove off on two wheels. With a bit of throttle control, I kept the tractor balanced fairly perfect, and I was able to control it easily using brake-steering. I drove all the way around the barn, K-turned, and backed into a nice spot between a few trees, where I dropped the concrete over a bank. Fronts never touched the ground until I dropped the load.

It was kinda fun, but is 2-wheeling like that irresponsible, or just normal tractoring behavior? Just wondering.

JayC

Tractor
    New Holland 3040 w/ cab and CVT

Default Re: Is 2-wheeling irresponsible?

I'm not sure about if that is irresponsible, but I would have had to go change some clothes I think. Of course I am pretty new to owning a tractor. Maybe this is normal to the veteran tractor owners.

Tractor
    3940HST Montana

I think there are many aspects to this question. I assume you are referring to safety. Since you have a hoe on and your load was probably very close to the ground the chances of you flipping over were probably pretty remote. If nobody was around in case you lost steering control then I guess its ok.

I don't guess the machine really liked it; you had the stabilizers up (I assume ) so all the weight was on the machine. You probably had the boom out to accommodate the load also... just doesn't sound like a good thing to do mechanically.

If you were on a job site I would suspect that the foreman would either ball you out or fire you?
    Not saying I wouldn't do something like that but I don't think anyone can condone it
    Montana 3940HST
    Home made SS quick attach http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=141029

Tractor
    3940HST Montana

From your avatar it appears that you have a 3pt backhoe? I wouldn't have done it...
    Montana 3940HST
    Home made SS quick attach http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=141029

"Irresponsible" I don't think I would go that far. Less than desirable operation, I'd go with that. I think many of us have used a piece of equipment beyond its intended purpose or design capabilities. As long as nobody was in danger, I think it is good fun.

Brian

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

I'd say you were OK. An operator who understands and knows how to use his machine.
    On smooth flat terrain going slow with the weight inches off the ground why do you need more than two wheels
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by mwb View Post
    From your avatar it appears that you have a 3pt backhoe? I wouldn't have done it...
    No, it is on a full subframe mount. My Woods 9000 would rip a 3pt off a tractor in seconds.

JayC

Tractor
    04/4310

It's gone now but I did that quite a few times with my 790. Picked up a pallet of wood that was just a bit much. Usually I was already rolling when the front lifted so I just stayed in her ***. I really appreciated the split brakes at that moment. Wife saw me do it one evening and let's just say she does not condone such activity. But, she likes that we don't have to wheel or stack wood. So we agreed she would stay inside when these things were going on.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gould View Post
    On smooth flat terrain going slow with the weight inches off the ground why do you need more than two wheels
    That's what I was thinking

JayC

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4200 View Post
    I was just reading the 'stupid things' thread, and was thinking back to this summer, when I pulled a big chunk of concrete (POs barn "steps" made w/o forms or any skill whatsoever) with my backhoe. I pinched the concrete between the hoe boom and dipper, then proceeded to drive around back to dump it. Well, as soon as I hit the gas, the front of the tractor came right up and stayed there. I stopped and threw a couple of rocks into the bucket, but that didn't do anything. I had the concrete picked and pinched so perfect, I didn't want to put it down, so I figured to heck with it, and just drove off on two wheels. With a bit of throttle control, I kept the tractor balanced fairly perfect, and I was able to control it easily using brake-steering. I drove all the way around the barn, K-turned, and backed into a nice spot between a few trees, where I dropped the concrete over a bank. Fronts never touched the ground until I dropped the load.

It was kinda fun, but is 2-wheeling like that irresponsible, or just normal tractoring behavior? Just wondering.

JayC
    Hey Jay,
    Have you lost your mind posting that here!!! You are gonna have a safety bulldozer sideways on this one!!!

Now in My humble opinion .. as long as the ground was flat I would have done the same as you. But any slopes I think I would have put the concrete down on some type of skid and then dragged it back.

Good luck with the prostate check you will get.

Tractor on.
    ================================================== ===
    Kioti DK40SE HST
    Our 2nd Amendment RIGHT comes from God and protects all the others!
    ================================================== ===

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast