lockset freezing

/ lockset freezing #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
My tractor lives outside. I am having trouble with the lock set freezing. It keeps the key out so I can't start it till I apply heat. I need to cover it with something that keeps out the water. What do you guys use? The tractor is a Bobcat ct225.

Last edited:
   / lockset freezing #2  
have had that problem here in Pa. every winter.Several ways we have done, Heat your key,apply a wax or grease to key slot [will trap dirt in key slot if not wiped off be fore key is stuck in]'make a rubber cover out of old inner tube,buy and wire up a new switch with weather proff cover[some heavy equipment comes with these got one at a john deere dozer dealer for on of our farm tractor once.If your not to worried about someone stealiing it you could install a toggle type switch 3 position with a rubber boot.lastly take the key tumbler out of your switch and use a screwdriver to start and operate the switch.

/ lockset freezing #3  
Spray some WD 40 into it after it's thawed to drive the moisture out

/ lockset freezing #5  
MESSMAKER said:
My tractor lives outside. I am having trouble with the lock set freezing. It keeps the key out so I can't start it till I apply heat. I need to cover it with something that keeps out the water. What do you guys use? The tractor is a Bobcat ct225.

Do you have Lowes or HD nearby? If so, I would peruse the fastener section looking in the slide out drawers with the odd ball items. I remember seeing a few screw/bolt covers that might work. If not, how about a waterproof cover for a cigarette lighter plug, hydraulic coupler cover/plug, etc.

HTH

/ lockset freezing
I will try the wd-40 for now. I think a waterproof cover is the answer, but I will have to find one or create one.

/ lockset freezing #8  
A waterproof cover would work best.
If the keyset round base sticks out from the surface (rather than being inset), you could pop a condom over it.
BOB

/ lockset freezing #9  
silicone spray will help shed the water too.

soundguy

/ lockset freezing #10  
I have seen people use a tennis ball with one side split like a banana, then push it over the door knob.

I guess it works for a waterproof cover in a pinch.

In the mean time, if you heat it gently with a torch for a few minutes, you will drive out all the water.

I always give my locks a liberal dose of spray graphite in the fall.

IMO graphite is better because, it can't freeze, and won't evaporate like WD40, and it won't contaminate painted surfaces like silicone does.