Which Chains are best for R4 tires?

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
I ordered what I thought were ring chains, but the dealer brought in the wrong kind. They would be good for turf tires I guess, but the straight cross links would just get caught in between the lugs of my R4 tires I fear.

So what type of chains would be best for R4 tires?

Amy thoughts would be appreciated!;)

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #2  
What surface are you running on? 2-Link chains, nice and tight work just fine on R4's, if you have asphalt or concrete you want to stay away from the v-bars as they will ruin it.

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #3  
I just made up "ladder" chains with good sized cross links out of an old set. With enough cross links they do OK up here in Bancroft where we get DEEP snow....plus they are easy to repair when a cross link wears thru and still light enough so I can install them myself (with a little thought and planning)
JD 4300 with R4s, about 900' of hilly driveway

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #5  
What surface are you running on? 2-Link chains, nice and tight work just fine on R4's, if you have asphalt or concrete you want to stay away from the v-bars as they will ruin it.

I had these VERY tight as recomended by the chain dealer. I've since loosened them a bit based on suggestions from the good folks on this board. They stay out from between the lugs a little better but if I had it to do over again I'd have gotten Duo grips.

Attachments

• 100_1155.JPG
    100_1155.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 474
   / Which Chains are best for R4 tires?
Hey, lungdoc, thanks - that's the kind I would like, but they don't seem to have them in a 26 X 12-12 for my Kubota BX25. Also, I see you are in Canada, so how easy was it to get Trirechains.com to send them to you? (I live in Toronto.)

flowerfarmer, thanks for your photo - it looks like you had EXACTLY the problem I was worried about, and the chains in your photo look just like the ones that my dealer mistakenly ordered for me from WALCO here in Ontario. (Good thing I didn't take them!)

BTW, my surface is gravel, and I pack the snow down at the beginning of the season because I am now running a rear mount Kubota B2789 snowblower. I do, however, park the tractor in my garage so if I end up with aggressive chains I can just park the tractor on a piece of plywood in order to protect the concrete floor. I will be driving over the paved county road for about 200 yards or so to get to my neighbours, but that shouldn't be a problem - the road surface is so old it needs replacing soon anyway.

UPDATE: Called WALCO this morning and they don't make any other patterns in my size, so I'm screwed. Will have to go elsewhere or modify them myself, perhaps by just adding a connecting link in the middle, joining adjacent pairs of cross-links.

Last edited:
   / Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #7  
I live very close to the border so I get stuff shipped to usaddressinc just across the Queenston-Lewiston bridge. I do use plywood on garage floor.

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #8  
I had these VERY tight as recomended by the chain dealer. I've since loosened them a bit based on suggestions from the good folks on this board. They stay out from between the lugs a little better but if I had it to do over again I'd have gotten Duo grips.

Can't you put 2 X 2 links between each ladder and make your own Duo Grip?

/ Which Chains are best for R4 tires? #10  
I ordered what I thought were ring chains, but the dealer brought in the wrong kind. They would be good for turf tires I guess, but the straight cross links would just get caught in between the lugs of my R4 tires I fear.

So what type of chains would be best for R4 tires?

Amy thoughts would be appreciated!;)

I have R-4's and straight cross link ladder chains. No problem with "caught in between the lugs". Far as I can see, it is a myth for properly fitted chains.

Attachments

• Tire_chains.JPG
    Tire_chains.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 492