No idea what year this Backhoe is

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #21  
I got pics from the starter side, this unit is in rough shape hyd lines need to be replaced the out shielding falls off when you tough it. pins on the loader look like it needs to be done. cyl are pitted, power steering not working, found the block header needs to be replaced leaking a bit just wondering if a universal would work.

Happy New year everyone!

Sounds like you are going to have a good bit of money tied up in the machine.

And yes, a universal block heater should work just fine(just be sure when you install it, to rotate it so the element does not touch the block).

Best of Luck, and Happy New Year

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is
I paid $4000 for it<:( I hope that wasn't too much... Ford Tractor! you can tell I don't have experience with them no one in there right mind would have bought it. how can you tell that the cylinder broke on the hoe side.. is this worth investing in:ashamed:

I found a manual on ebay! :thumbsup:

what type of steering fluid does this take??:confused3:

what's involved changing the right side top loader bushing, there is lots of play in it.

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #23  
gammer you may come out fine IF you do not try to make it NEW. :D

A lot of play in a 40 year backhoe is NORMAL. Keep it greased well and do not loan it out (let others operate it). If it will start, run and dig dirt that is about all you can expect for a heavy BH like that.

Change the oil and after you decide if you are going to keep it change out the other fluids. Ours had new fluid/filters a couple years before we bought it but had water in it. With use and a quart of Sea Foam two different times the fluid so no longer white. Winter got here before I got to it this year plus I need to install the new shifter boots before I change it out because rain can get in the old ones. I think it had set a lot the year before we bought it.

I had to replace one hose and the metal is showing on many of the others but I finally chilled and followed the advice to make it beg for things like hoses and tires.

I have one bucket ram that was broken of at the FEL bucket. Looks like they hit something with speed but the welder did an awesome job on the ram. The ends are welded on OEM by the way.

Do not deal with many PM issues (other than engine oil/coolant) UNTIL after you make the buckets shine from use. By then you will have fallen in love with it and see it for what it can do for you instead of focusing on what is not perfect about it.

Keep the diesel tank, radiator, and fluids full and all 100 grease points well geased. :thumbsup:By geasing it after each use then putting it through its range of motion will help keep water from pooling in the pins/bushings. It it is like ours you may use many tubes of grease the first time to make it show.

Will it start, run and dig?

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #24  
Looks like a piece is missing from the bucket curl linkage from what I see, as it is the bucket would have no way of staying in position.

Best way to do this is make a list of everything it needs to function before putting alot of money in it. Once you know what it has to have you can make the decision to stop or proceed.

I agree with Gale though, it isn't necessary to make it like new, useable and dependable is good enough.

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #25  
gammer...

I think Gale gave some very good advice. Sure, it may have some flaws but it still may have lots of work hours left in it. I owned and operated one like it (although with different FEL boom) for 17 years. When I sold it (5 or 6 years ago) it had a lot of play in the pins but it worked well and I still see it working occasionally.

Re the bucket curl linkage, it does appear like a piece is missing. I wonder if the strut connecting to the bucket is welded rigidly to the bucket (rather than pinned so it can rotate). I suspect some one has done a backyard modification to the FEL (boom and linkage), but if it works, that's OK.

I wouldn't give up on it.

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #26  
...and I still see it working occasionally...
:D Sorry, did you mean that it works occasionally or that you SEE it occasionally working :laughing:

Last edited:
   / No idea what year this Backhoe is #27  
Good question...maybe it does only work occasionally now, but occasionally I do see it working.:D:D

:thumbsup:thanks for the valuable input.. I'm not looking to bring it back to new, would I like to do is have everything working properly, like temp & oil gauge. alternator charging, fuel gauge that sort of stuff. I found a service manual on ebay, it's going to be awhile getting to Nova Scotia, Canada, it coming from the Philippians :drink:... would anyone out there have a wiring diagram to post so I can get the charging system going. I can't wait that long! weather is good to work on it not to cold yet..

what would I put in it for motor Oil change??

Last edited:
   / No idea what year this Backhoe is #29  
i didn't know 4500's had straight loader arms like that i thought they was bent like most other loaders. i didn't think they started making them like this until the 555 machines are yall sure that is the right loader frame for a 4500 i agree the front nose looks like a 4500 but thats it. i have two of them and there loaders look nothing like this unit

God knows!! what they are off of, were would I might find the serial location for the Loader & hoe?? on this unit.

they Alternator only has one wire coming off going to the starter. don't know if this is maintaining the battery. only cranks a few times then dies, I'm charging the battery with a trickle charge, I will check see tomorrow if it will work better before purchasing a new one. looks fairly new (RV & Marine Interstate Battery) with 850 CCA & 1000 MCA