No idea what year this Backhoe is

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is
tks herringchoker,

doh!

it would be nice to here from someone that could give me some insight on what caused this, and how long did this take to happen. So I can avoid it

tks again herringchoker for all the support It would have been a long haul.:thumbsup::drink:

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #82  
Why it happened may never be known. Under heavy use reversing the torque forces over and over is going to take a toll on at part.

The other unanswered guestion that was raised when you first posted was WHY what the loader arms cut off and the current loader welded into place.

Was the old one worn out, rammed into something and bent out of shape, in an accident, etc?

My guess your current issue is use related and if you fix it back to new like condition it will be fine for the next 100 years.

Our old 1983 JD 310B has a LOT of external pin/bushing wear but it is not getting much worse because I keep it greased and use it very little unlike before its retirement. :thumbsup:

tks Gale,

your the best, I figured it was done over a period of time just wanted to be shore, I didn't cause this. Came across a parts store called "Joseph Industries inc" Ohio, usa

they specialize in transmissions, wicket prices compared to other places.
:thumbsup:

I took some pics of inside of the pump, I already know that was damaged but what I wasn't expecting was finding a tooth on the bottom of the tranny when I was cleaning it out, what I found is it looks like it came from 2nd gear :( NOT GOOD! .....
:confused:
where too go from here???

Attachments

• DSCF2255.jpg
    DSCF2255.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF2256.jpg
    DSCF2256.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF2254.jpg
    DSCF2254.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF2257.jpg
    DSCF2257.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 95
   / No idea what year this Backhoe is #86  
Schaefer Enterprises Inc. - Home

I drove up and checked these folks out when getting a part for our JD 310B. They were super nice and honest in my dealings with them. They are in a very small rural town.

Next time I will do business with them by phone and UPS if that helps.

Best of luck. Are the spline teeth going to be workable. I would not worry about them being undercut a bit.

tks, Gale...

for the info, I'm having a hard time following you, about your statement " Are the spline teeth going to be workable. I would not worry about them being undercut a bit. " could you elaborate a little more.. I need a tractor for dummies book for all... lol

the tooth itself broke off the 2nd gear from what I can see.. are you saying it can be welded on the gear...

:mur:

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #88  
No. Gears with broken teeth need to be replaced as a general rule. There are ways some gears can be rebuilt but not where replacement parts are to be had easily.

I was talking about the spline on the shaft sticking out of the transmission that may where it goes through the torque converter.

ah! I see said the blind man,

Tks for the info Gale, :thumbsup:

Do these gears get pressed off. and do the splines need to be lined up the same way, when they go back together?? It would be nice to get some feed back from someone that did this before...

I would like to know what caused this so, I can stop it from happening again.. if it was I that done it. I just can't see moving snow would have done this, and the little bit of work that I did do.

I need a drink!!!!

/ No idea what year this Backhoe is #90  
The damage was there when you bought it. It just had not yet flew apart.

As a simple guess is due to wear, loose bolts, etc some space developed letting a tooth break off. That tooth is like "throwing a wrech into the works" expression.

Fix it right and it will be fine. Parting out the tractor is your only other option to recover your money I expect. Consider buying a used transmission since your damage may still not all be in sight yet.