Oil & Fuel GRRRRR :mad:

/ GRRRRR :mad: #1  

Bradlyk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3930, Ford 6600, Agco Aliss 5670, Deutz D10006, Deutz D10006A
Well today me and my friend decided today was a good day to go lumber jacking what could go wrong?
Well where on our way I'm on the Deutz D10006 with our dump wagon and my friend has the Agco 5670 so we get to the intersection and I'm about to turn towards the trail that goes in the forest than all of a sudden (BOGGGGG) I'm thinking s$#% turn the corner shut er off and of course ran her clean out of fuel .:mad:
I was thinking okay it wont be too hard to get er going after so jump on the Agco and go home to pick up 5 gallons of fuel and some ether .
Take 1 she starts but just on ether
Take 5 still wont go
So I go home and pick up the operators manual to find out what to do and 2 hours later of tinkering she goes :)
So the sun is gone about now and we have 20 minutes left of light we got 2 trees done in the end

Better than nothing ... right?

Moral of the story... I'm installing a fuel gauge to the Deutz next week :thumbsup:

/ GRRRRR :mad: #2  
Sounds like you had a "learning" day.

I did that with the back hoe recently when in a rush one day. But got lucky and it started. It was on a hillside so it did not go bone dry and is a JD if that makes any difference.

Now that it is winter I try to keep every tank filled to the brim to reduce water in the fuel which also protects against running out. :thumbsup:

/ GRRRRR :mad:
Sounds like you had a "learning" day.

I did that with the back hoe recently when in a rush one day. But got lucky and it started. It was on a hillside so it did not go bone dry and is a JD if that makes any difference.

Now that it is winter I try to keep every tank filled to the brim to reduce water in the fuel which also protects against running out. :thumbsup:
I usually do that too I don't know why I forgot? Its cause during the Winter the Deutz runs less and the Agco more and the Agco has a low fuel light and gauge during summer never happens cause I check often.

Well I will remember no doubt

/ GRRRRR :mad: #4  
In my case it was coming up a rain and I was trying to get the yard cleaned up from building a storage building and get it out of the yard before it got soft. Fuel was the last thing on my mind UNTIL it started loosing power.:(

/ GRRRRR :mad:
In my case it was coming up a rain and I was trying to get the yard cleaned up from building a storage building and get it out of the yard before it got soft. Fuel was the last thing on my mind UNTIL it started loosing power.:(

I feel for ya

/ GRRRRR :mad: #6  
If I were in the predicament of not having a fuel gauge, I would have to keep the tank visually topped off.

Not only does my old tractor have a gauge, it has an auto bleed fuel system.;)

/ GRRRRR :mad: #7  
Sounds bad... Is your gauge not working or the float in the tank not working?
I have fixed a few and most of the time it is the wiring to the level reader...
Is yours fitted with a extra side tank or does it just have a top tank above engine..

/ GRRRRR :mad: #8  
We've all run one thing or another out of fuel before, it's not a big deal. But the use of ether to get something going should be avoided. Ether has its place, but whenever something is run out of fuel, all of the lines/filters/etc. should be filled up and bled out before a re-start is ever even attempted. Cranking the engine before everything is prepped and ready to start only makes the situation worse.

The excessive and unsuccessful cranking makes the starter none too happy as well.

Granted, some manufacturers make the bleeding process easier than others, but doing it properly, (even if it *seems* like a pain), is always easier and better than the alternative. My older brother works at a bean plant and whenever they run something out of fuel, they break out the ether. One guy cranks the engine, while another guy spritzes in the ether to get it running, and then keeps it running on ether alone for as long as it takes to finally spit and sputter its way to being self-sufficient on diesel again.

Engine banging away on straight ether, injection pump and other expensive bits whirling away semi-dry, etc.

Not only that, but they're paying two employees to essentially beat the snot out of their equipment to get it going after running out of fuel, when it's a one-person job to do it correctly in the first place.

Makes me cringe just thinkin' about it.

:confused2:

/ GRRRRR :mad: #10  
If you don't want to mess with installing a fuel gauge, just use your hour meter x consumption in gal/hr to tell you how much is remaining, when to refuel, and how much to put in before you might overfill the tank. All you really need to do is note the hour reading when you fill it up and have some idea of what your average consumption is. After that put a piece of blue tape by the key and write the on it the hour reading when you should next fill it.

Or, keep it full--a good idea anyway particularly in cold weather.