Chains Who needs chains??? I DO!

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #11  
Bill, have you checked <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tirechains.com/12.4-16.htm>tirechains.com</A>

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
<font color=blue>Bill, have you checked tirechains.com </font color=blue>

Mike,

Yes...for my tire size they don't have the super macho chains, just the ladder type.../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

If my dealer doesn't come through, I will order from them and save $10. I just want to give the dealer a little business since I have been treated well by him.

Bill

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #13  
Bill, if the dealer doesn't come through, you might try calling tirechains.com and see if they'd make a set up for you. It'd be a short trip to just northeast of Johnstown for you, right?

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #14  
You all have inspired me. I just ordered the two-linked ladder chains for both front & rear tires from tirechains.com. The ladder chains were all that came in my tire size, but 2-link design looks sufficient, since I will be using them for paved applications. I just don't want to slide down my curved drive: 60ft drop over 300ft and a pretty steep drop-off if I go off the driveway. Now as to chains front & back, I say YES!! I need steering more than 4 wheel drive traction. I am less worried about going up the hill than sliding down it. So, chains front & rear and 2-wheel drive, until I get stuck.

Last winter, on one ocassion it took me fifteen minutes to inch by inch SLIDE my truck down the driveway, but it didn't take any time to drive it back up, since I left at the bottom of the hill, where the roads are salted and paved by the county.

Hi,

I posted a couple photos in the safety forum. Figured this would be a good reminder to all that wet slopes can be unpredictable. here</font color=blue>

Bill in PGH, PA

Big Dave,

I guess the obvious question is...

Were the chains for the truck or the tractor?

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bill

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #17  
Bill,

Last fall I bought tire chains and tensioners from tirechains.com for my B2910 and they worked GREAT! We haven't had a significant snow fall since! /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Hoping this season will be a bit snowier and I'll be able to give them a workout.

~Rick

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #18  
Bill,

You started off looking at BX's, talked yourself right up through the entire B series to the B2910. Now you wish you bought an L3010.

Thank your lucky stars you didn't, 'cause then you'd be beatin' yourself up for not getting an L4610....or maybe even an M series!

Ahhhh...I hope they never find a cure for this illness that afflicts us. Then we'd settle for anything!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Enjoy your B2910....or did you already trade up?

~Rick

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #19  
The tractor of course! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Hopefully, the sure-footed tractor will clear the driveway for truck. If not, I guess the tractor will be parked at the bottom of the hill with the truck. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

BTW, I bought new tires for the truck last spring, so hopefully it will fair a little better this year. The main roads are cleared fairly quickly, so the only need for chains would be on the driveway.

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #20  
NOW THAT LOOKS LIKE A PLACE U NEED CHAINS. i had chains on my ford 2n(usless with out them for plowing snow) but with b2400 i have no seen the need for chains, i plow lots of snow, but the drive is paved, and down on the corner(mailbox) the county and town pile it deep, i can move it with out chains, but everyting is flat. i am sure there are ocassions where chains might help me but i have not come across it yet. sometimes chains on concret ot blacktop can be very destructive and not really much help. unless u have a thick coating of ice for the chain to grip. everyone has to make his own call. but on the whole chains can't hurt.