Chains Who needs chains??? I DO!

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi,

Found my B2910 waiting in the driveway when I got home from a trip to Home Depot! It had been back at the dealer's for a warranty repair. The plastic drive shaft cover somehow was rubbing the drive shaft and got a hole rubbed in it. They fixed it for free, including pick up and delivery. Happy me!

So back on went the loader and I started down the 25 foot grassy slope�cwet from rain and quite slick, but I forgot about that�cand wouldn't you know, I guess I was so happy to have the tractor back, after four days without it, that I forgot to check and see if it was in 4wd�c

Can you say toboggan? I can�cwow�chere I go! Down the hill and across the 20 foot flat spot, starting to spin sideways and stopping just at the edge of the next slope where a little trail leads to my storage shed. Behind me, two brown stripes the width of my rear R4's. And no, in case you are wondering, I did not leave them! The tires did /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

I had been thinking about possibly buying some chains, since if I want to use the tractor to clear my parking area/driveway if it snows, I have to climb that same slope and go back down afterwards. "Should I spend the money, or not? " was the question.

Guess I got my answer this afternoon.

No brainer, right?

I suppose chains on a CUT will give about the same traction improvement as chains did on my little garden tractor, right? The only chains I can find for my 12.4 x 16 R4s are cross chains [I think that is what you call them, the standard kind of chain], and I will buy the two-link variety.

What do you guys think? Can I expect chains to make a big difference like they did on my little MTD garden tractor? Cost with tax will be about $250.

I guess I have the clearance on a B2910 for chains...

Any pictures of your tractor with chains installed?

Thanks for any input.

Bill in PGH, PA

/ Who needs chains??? I DO!
Chains do make a great improvement. If you use your tractor on ice/snow, it can be litterally the only way to go. It may be 4 wheel drive but the tires do not work too good on ice/snow. I would use 2 link chains on any tire less than 24 inches or so high. I made mine from some old auto chains I had lying around. It took a couple of hours to strip the cross links out of one set and add to the other set to make 2 link chains, but they work so much better. Make sure they fit snug and use tensioners.

Happy tractoring

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #3  
Bill;

I have chains on my B7500. I don't have a problem with clearance with my R4's, so you should be find with yours.

I bought chains after the first year on my property; have a very rough unpaved driveway. After I bought the chains, I paved the driveway, so the chains are not as necessary anymore. I do still stick them on though.

Will try to attach a picture; doesn't always seem to work.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 47-210747-Kubota2.jpg
    47-210747-Kubota2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 201
   / Who needs chains??? I DO! #5  
That just indicates the number of links between each chain that actually crosses the tire tread.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tirechains.com/garden-tractor-tire-chains.htm>http://www.tirechains.com/garden-tractor-tire-chains.htm</A>

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #6  
Kinda think of a set of chains on the rear as insurance policy..Good to have when you really need them. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Just wondering..were you traveling a tad to fast,or did the tread fill up w/mud,also do you any rear weight.

Hi Thomas and all,

<font color=blue>Thomas asks:

Just wondering..were you traveling a tad to fast,or did the tread fill up w/mud,also do you any rear weight. </font color=blue>

Actually, not fast at all. I had just started from being stopped, probably six feet from where the slope goes down. Actually going pretty slow I think. Started goin' a lot faster when the rear tires started slipping /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Atleast double the speed! I was in mid range, but not really trying to move at any great speed.

I don't even think the tires loaded up with mud. They might have I did not look at them...it was a slip like sliding on ice, where you just slide and off you go...

The ground here is pretty wet from the rain and cold I guess. When I walk out the back to feed the geese, for the last few days I have almost ended on my butt from slipping in the grass covered mud...and that is where it is almost flat!

Yep, I am going to get some chains and make it a ritual to put them on in the fall after I pack up my mower...want to order them from my dealer since he has treated me pretty good so far. His price was just a tad above those at tirechains.com, but I am not sure if it for the same thing, so I have him checking the size of the cross links [want 3/8] and if the chains he is selling are case hardened [pretty sure they would be, but doesn't hurt to ask...].

I'll try to post a picture of those brown streaks later tonight...the ones on the ground that is...j/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Who needs chains??? I DO! #8  
Or you could go with the gnarly Norse ice chains and rip up the turf wherever you go!

Pete

Attachments

• 47-210763-Offtothecottage.JPG
    47-210763-Offtothecottage.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 190
True... the really agressive design chains will rip up turf somewhat, but so does ag tread. I have twist link cross links on my chains and as long as I take it easy, my lawn survives pretty well when I have to drive accross it. Of course the twist link chains will slide sideways a bit more on glare ice than the ones with the teeth on the links. According to what I have read ( not tried this myself ) , I do not think you want chains on all 4 wheels of a 4 wheel drive Tractor. It could put too much strain on the drive train if you drive on concrete or some other surface where the tires cannot slip a bit to even out torque between the front and rear axle as you turn. I know this will happen in vehicles that have part time 4WD not the AWD, which usually has a limited slip mechanism getween the front and rear axles. One time in years past I got a Jeep so bound-up that it locked up and would not move. I had to jack up one wheel to release the tension on the drive train.

Unfortunately,

The B2910 has 12.4 x 16 tires, which must be a bit unusual, as there are not a lot of chain options for them, at least from what I can see so far...

I keep thinking I should have got a L3010hsd...but the 2910 ain't bad...

Bill