Tires What size tires for 02 4600?

/ What size tires for 02 4600? #1  

Stormtruck2

Bronze Member
Tractor
02 JD 4600 FEL, 72 MM Mower, Cab
I have turf tires on the drives of my tractor. I move snow with the 460 FEL on it. Unless I engage the MFWD it is helpless.:confused2: Rather than going to chains, ( a big painus in the ****) I was thinking of different tires. R1's perhaps. Currently I have 44 X 18-20 turf. I'm wanting to know if I need different rims, and are R1's the best bet for max traction without chains. I am building a BB for the rear. Looking at putting about 2,000 pounds in the BB of concrete if possible. Once I get the themistor replaced I'll really be in love with this tractor.:cloud9: Right now I only love it. :laughing:

/ What size tires for 02 4600? #2  
Typically Turf tires to R1 or R4's won't be able to use the same rims. That "painus" may be there but buying 4 tires and 4 rims.....

/ What size tires for 02 4600? #3  
I think 2000 lbs on the 3pt is too much, I would think 1200 to 1500 max. You would be better off with chains on the turf tires you have now and this would be less money too.

/ What size tires for 02 4600? #4  
I think 2000 lbs on the 3pt is too much, I would think 1200 to 1500 max. You would be better off with chains on the turf tires you have now and this would be less money too.

Yep, I agree...both points.
As far as the chains...well, if you think installing chains is a pain...try swapping all four wheels (especially if they are filled).

/ What size tires for 02 4600? #5  
I purchased a 4700 with turf tires. I wanted to switched to ag tires. I had to buy rims and tires at a cost of $1800. I was able to sell the tuf tires and rims for $1000 but I had them for quite awhile before someone wanted them. If you make the switch I would ask your dealer or tire shop where ever you buy them at to see if they would help you sell the old tires and rims. That is what my John Deere dealer did for me. You may even check with them before buying new to see if they have someone wanting to switch to turf tires. I will never go back to turfs but you will want to make sure that you will be satisfied with whatever you switch to. It might be that a set of wheel weights or added weight may resolve your problem.